• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chrisj21

[engine_work] 1990 205 1.9 Restoration And Upgrade.

chrisj21

So i finally thought i would post up my project thread, i have been writing this on and off for a good few months now to both document what i am doing to the 205 and to show some others and hopefully create and good project thread for others to follow.

Over the next year i will be completely overhauling the 205 to create my personal ‘ultimate’ 205 GTI.

This will include complete rebuilds of areas such as suspension, bodywork, drive train, wiring, interior and brakes. I’m hoping to cover most of the work myself unless i feel abit in over my head to which i’ll pass the work on to others.

I must admit the 205 has been abit neglected to say the least over last 6 months and as such areas like bodywork have suffered and as the mot expires at the end of November i thought this would be a good time to start.

My main areas of research so far have been on the interior and mainly the stereo system and associated wiring, thread regarding this can be found here click

Although not updated on progress for a good while it’s a very good thread and has been my benchmark for choosing the wiring, headunit etc.

I’ll also be converting to gti6 engine which will be covered later on.

So with all the ideas swirling around in my head i decided a good place to start would be to assess the 205, give it a good damn clean and write down any problem areas with the bodywork then the interior and once i knew what was broken i could decide on what to upgrade and replace.

The bodywork areas are as follows,

• Front passenger wing dented

• Drivers side wing dented to top

• Grille fixings broken

• Front bumper cracked

• Drivers side arch trim chipped

• Paint chips to roof (from old wind deflector)

• Sunroof trim broken

• Rear bumper pitted

• Small rust bubbles around lower rear window seal

All in all not to bad for a twenty year old car. There are a few dings here and there.

I think the only way to go with the paintwork is to have a full respray and then replace all the trim with new.

Interior wise i know where i'm going.

• Black phase two interior. Thanks to Taylorspug for supplying and Tesstuff for collecting.

• Either retrimmed green check half leather or full black goodwood leather mounted on electric bases and heated.

• Electric and heated mirrors

• Fully soundproofed via noisekiller.

• New interior wiring loom integrating added interior lighting and new stereo install.

• CD changer

• Steering wheel stereo controls (as recommended by DrSarty)

• Heated front screen

I’ve not completely decided yet but i may try and integrate a sat nav system as per the new clio, i’ve a spare dash i can have ago with.

Obviously this won’t be to everyone’s taste but this isn’t a project to create the fastest 205 but to create a 205 with a modern twist that i’ll be able to take around Europe in comfort with some mod cons.

As for the engine, a simple standard gti6 will be dropped in to a fresh painted bay with BBM hoses and mountings, vts box and retaining the power steering, new wiring loom and uprated alternator.

Engine mods will come later on.

I have a list as long as my arm of parts i need to order which i’m going to list here in the next few days more for my need to keep track and for you to see my plans.

I will of course need some good guidance along the way and constructive criticism is always welcome.

Next update to follow shortly including pictures of the current state.

Chris

alphacharlie

I'll watch this one closely as I've recently got myself a 1993 motor that needs a few little touches.

Cheers

AC

BusEngineer

Sounds like an interesting project, will be watching this

Make a change from the normal stripped out or back to standard builds . . . . . . Not that ive got any room to talk mine is stripped!! :wacko:

Enjoy the build

chrisj21

Thanks for the replys guys.

Nothing wrong with a good stripped 205 but im trying to create not only a daily driver but something to haul me around europe in comfort and be reliable.

There'll still be plenty of power to keep up with more modern cars and hopefully i'll be able to build on the power output at a later date.

In the mean time my parts list is getting longer!

cRaig

Tis a nice idea for a project, good luck with it :( Im trying something similar, gentry illuminated visors, 106 electric wing mirrors, aircon, heated seats on individual seats with timers, second skin soundproofing, possibly cruise control etc.

Little things like getting a auto dimming rear mirror from a 406 always help to make it a bit more of a modern, comfortable place to be.

Or maybe I just like playing with electrical toys lol

chrisj21
cRaig Posted Today, 02:15 PM

Tis a nice idea for a project, good luck with it Im trying something similar, gentry illuminated visors, 106 electric wing mirrors, aircon, heated seats on individual seats with timers, second skin soundproofing, possibly cruise control etc.

Little things like getting a auto dimming rear mirror from a 406 always help to make it a bit more of a modern, comfortable place to be.

Or maybe I just like playing with electrical toys lol

I like the sound of that Craig.

Will you be using just the motors from the mirrors or the complete mirror?

Chris

chris-stdt

Very interesting post ,i will be wathching it carefully as im busy doing the same to my car.

Sadly not to the standard that yours will be.

chrisj21

Thanks, i'm sure yours will be to a high standard :)

chrisj21

So here are some current pictures of the 205 as she stands pre makeover.

S73F0883-1.jpg

S73F0889.jpg

S73F0891.jpg

S73F0888.jpg

S73F0895.jpg

She's had a good wash now so looks a little better.

The interior will be coming out over the next week ready for paint, sound proofing and wiring install before replacing with the refreshed phase 2 plastics, goodwood seats new stereo and some other goodies.

Chris

chrisj21

Update time!

Some big progress has been made in the last week or two. I now have a nice 82k xsara vts engine sitting awaiting some work!

Traveling home on Monday night and just as i pulled in to the village where i live and the trusty 8v let go. I've not looked in to much deal what went but with the amount of oil / smoke coming out of the exhaust its pointless bothering with when i plan to change it anyway. So the engine transplant has been brought forward a month or two.

The new XU10J4RS is from an 82k ish xsara vts snapper.

Excuse the pictures they are from my phone.

New engine

IMG00039-20091117-1455.jpg

Valve damage

IMG00040-20091117-1455.jpg

Starting to remove the head.

First i removed the coil cover (5mm allen head bolts), removed the 4 coils (each secured with two 5mm allen head bolts), removed the plugs.

Then removed the cam covers (5mm allen head bolts again) to get access to the headbolts, whipped tose out and off comes the head.

IMG00042-20091117-1455.jpg

IMG00044-20091117-1506.jpg

Head removed

IMG00050-20091117-1616.jpg

Luckily no snapped valves, a closer look at the underneath damage.

IMG00051-20091117-1616.jpg

So with everything of the head its ready to go to be refurbished once i've got some quotes.

Does anyone know if the headbolts can be re-used?

On a good note the bottom end looks very good, only light marking on the piston where the valves have touched, you can still see honeing marks very clearly in the bores, quite a bit of carbon build up but i'll get that cleaned of for further inspection.

IMG00049-20091117-1611.jpg

IMG00045-20091117-1610.jpg

Not sure if you can quite make out the honeing marks

IMG00048-20091117-1611.jpg

So generally quite happy with the engine, i'm just contemplating wether its worth having the bottom end looked over and a light rebuiled. Any thoughts?

More updates later in the week.

Thanks

allye

Looks like this will be a great build! Will follow closely.

Ali

chrisj21

I hope so! Plenty more to be done yet!

Thanks

Eliganza

Wow, should be good this. Btw you can re use head bolts but for the effort its probably safer to buy new ones.

chrisj21

I have read that you can use them again as long as they are measured and within a certain length, i've yet to find out what that lenght is if anybody knows?

They are around £6-7 per bolt from peugeot so i'll check mine first.

More updates in the next few days, i've been mostly collecting parts and then i'm moving the car to a workshop to carry out the conversion and get the bay sprayed.

Chris

chrisj21

Just a small update, nothing too exciting.

Managed to remove the old 8v last weekend and now im ready to prep the bay for the VTS engine to be installed.

I wont bore everyone with the pictures of the 8v coming out but just a cheeky picture of the near empty bay :lol:

emptybay.jpg

So this weekend i'll be mostly cleaning the bay down and removing the subframe to paint up and install my steering rack, decide which route to take with my brake hoses and attack the VTS wiring loom.

I've had my head refurbished (well sort of) so now just waiting for my headgasket, exhaust and inlet studs and cambelt kit amongst a few other bits and i can begin building the engine back up.

I'll take some good pictures from now it's getting more interesting and keep you all up to date.

Chris

chrisj21

Well christmas came early (or late) for me today.

Received the majority of the parts to start building up the engine :(

Inlet gasket

IMG00024-20100212-1858.jpg

Exhaust and inlet studs

IMG00029-20100212-1904.jpg

Pug oil filter, thermostat and seals

IMG00028-20100212-1902.jpg

Timing belt kit from gsf

IMG00019-20100211-1924.jpg

Water pump

IMG00026-20100212-1859.jpg

Head gasket

IMG00025-20100212-1859-1.jpg

4 x injectors and a double relay (thanks Mark :) )

IMG00030-20100212-1905.jpg

Baker BM grpn mount set (thanks stew for the quick service)

IMG00032-20100212-1907.jpg

Lightened bottom pulley from Miles (again thanks for the quick service Miles)

IMG00033-20100212-1909.jpg

I've also got the group A bottom fork bush from baker bm and a non pas rack to fit and await delivery of a gear linkage bush.

So a busy weekend for me if i can find a few hours to begin building it up, i was hoping to have a full weekend on it but with my dads birthday and valentines, work tomorrow im struggling abit.

I need to get the motor mounted on my engine stand so i can start cleaning it down for a lick of paint, also i need to release the jammed cam pulley on my head ready to fit the belt.

Chris

Tesstuff

Nice Chris , luckily i am free to pop over tomorrow and give you a hand.

Text me with a time :)

chrisj21

Yes will do Daz, wrap up won't you :)

Should be around 1:30 if you want to pop round and we will go up :(

Tesstuff

Well i feel i must report back on my time helping Chris out yesterday :D

I had never been up to his in laws farm before and had no idea what his 'workshop' was like so i was excited to see it all. I had two layers of clothing after his 'wrap up' warning and was ready for some hands on grafting :)

The farm was very nice and his 'workshop' is a storage barn where feed and tractors and cars all reside. Of course i had to be nosey and go and have a walk round and see some of the residents :D.

Here are some very obedient cows, i told them to all look at me and say cheese and to my amazement they did it :ph34r:

4355577773_a775124175.jpg

Just to prove it wasn't a fluke i asked the next lot to pose and they did the same, fantastic cows :D

4355578707_b680c755d2.jpg

So i walked back into the storage barn and spotted the 205 Gti. Tractor on one side and his bonnet on the other.

4356330382_012f8198bb.jpg

Then as i walked around the other side i spotted Chris :D

4355582799_f7cf6a05ba.jpg

It was at this point i asked what he was doing and he said he would be building up the cylinder head and i would be building up the inlet manifold, so i stopped taking pictures and got down to my task :)

Two hours later, i had finished the inlet, Chris had finished the head and we put them together and started to pack up for the day as he had a prior engagement to attend. I obviously would have stayed until the car was running and ready for an Mot in the morning :)

4356332226_f3cafd25db.jpg

Here are a couple more pictures from the day at the farm :D

This was Chris struggling with some bit at the end of the head that had been siliconed on so tight it really wasn't ever meant to come off. Even once he had it off there was so much silicone everywhere that it took a fair time to clean it all up. Well that is what Chris said :D

4356328122_f25e706d68.jpg

This is some 205 Gentry v6 i found parked outside, does look a bag of s*it :lol:

4356326128_157b262203.jpg

All in all a fun time and i even took a flask and some soup and we enjoyed that in a rare 5 minute break from all the hard grafting :lol:

Same again next weekend so i shall report back on our further progress :)

Edited by Tesstuff

chrisj21

Excellent, thanks for your update Daz :ph34r:

As Daz says i had a complete nightmare with the head, a previous owner had siliconed the block that houses the thermostat on to the head, all the bolts that came out had silicon on and all down the threads in the head.

Eventually i got it all cleaned up and back together.

Also got the water pump fitted, tensioner and roller for the cambelt in place and started cleaning the piston tops ready for the headgasket.

More graft next weekend, i get Saturday afternoon and evening and all day sunday on it so hopefully the engine will be in and i can begin the wiring.

Thanks for your hard work Daz.

Chris

chrisj21

Oh and can anyone spot the deliberate mistake? i'm suprised it's gone un noticed :ph34r:

BusEngineer

Inlet manifold bolted to wrong side of cylinder head?!

chrisj21

Spot on! :ph34r:

marksorrento205

Chris, is it finnished yet?

DrSarty

Nice work Chris. Now I see why the cherry red may come in handy; these things ALWAYS take more time than anticipated. Get the obedient cows to muck in.

Daz>

Good stuff.

Mark>

You have PM.