• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allye

My Rallye Is Getting Through Water..............

allye

Hi all, bled my water system a while a go as I put in a low milage engine that had been sitting around for a while so inside was dirty. I have been topping up the collant for a while thinking it was just getting rid of all air locks, but I have put in far too much, far more than the 5L capacity (I think) So is my head shot!? :unsure: The oil is clean, Its a SPi engine in my rallye, iron block with the solex.

Thanks a lot

Ali

Edited by allye

Anthony

Well, there's realistically only three places the water can be going:

1) Leaking from the cooling system somewhere

2) Ending up in the oil

3) Ending up in the combustion chamber and being burnt

If the oil is clean and no evidence of mayo then you can pretty much rule out number three.

Check the whole system for any evidence of leakage, including the radiator and all the coolant hoses.

If that all looks OK, then I'd suspect the headgasket is on its way out and the coolant is being burnt. The cooling system pressurising excessively is often a tale-tale sign of this (squeeze the coolant hoses and see if they feel excessively hard, and whether there is excessive pressure when removing the expansion tank cap), as is white smoke from the exhaust and possible rough running, although in my experience they don't tend to smoke or run roughly until the HG has failed fairly badly.

If you want to be doubly sure, a local garage will be able to test the coolant for evidence of hydrocarbons (ie combustion gas) which is indicative of a failed headgasket.

allye

Confirming my fears then! Do I need to skim the head if I catch it before it goes completely? Will do some checks tomorrow to confirm the problem.

Thanks a lot Anthony

Ali

Atari Boy

My 205 was getting through coolant, I thought my HG had gone, it ended up being a weeping coolant pipe at the back of the block.

trogboy

I had a pinhole in the thermostat housing cover that sprayed a very fine mist of coolant out but only when the car was fully up to temp. I spent ages trying to track that one down!

nick

As above, I had a pinhole in my rad' that misted water out. Trouble is, the water was evaporating on the hot rad so took forever to track down.

Nick

jackherer

My mate had a pinhole in his expansion tank, we only found it when it got worse on track and sprayed coolant into the horn relay causing the horn to activate on right hand turns!

allye

Just to let you know, did a hydro carbon test today and the head has gone, albeit very early stages of it going. Heads coming off tomorrow and I'm just praying I won't need it skimmed!

Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate the help and advice

Ali

trogboy

Skim it anyway - it's not an expensive job and is definitely worth it for the piece of mind. Especially if the head gasket is going as a slight warping of the head could be a contributing factor..