• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest rowland977

Removing Driveshaft Nut

Guest rowland977

Hi I am new to thw forum, I have just bought a 1990 topaz blue 205 GTI. I believe the Cv joint is past it's best and i'm trying remove the driveshaft to put a new one in.

The problem is I can't seem to remove the driveshaft hubnut is there any special way of doing it, or any tips?

Any help would be great

Dave

Tom Fenton

You just need a correct sized socket and a large breaker bar matey. They can be tight but there is nothing out of the ordinary. If you really struggle you could drive the car to a local garage and get them to get it off for you with a air gun. Then do it back up tight-ish with hand tools so you can get it off yourself when you get home again.

chris-stdt
Hi I am new to thw forum, I have just bought a 1990 topaz blue 205 GTI. I believe the Cv joint is past it's best and i'm trying remove the driveshaft to put a new one in.

The problem is I can't seem to remove the driveshaft hubnut is there any special way of doing it, or any tips?

Any help would be great

Dave

I find your best to do it with the wheel on the ground and the center cap removed ,you will need a 30 or 32 mm socket and a big bar

Should come off no problem

jord294
I find your best to do it with the wheel on the ground and the center cap removed ,you will need a 30 or 32 mm socket and a big bar

Should come off no problem

as above ^^^^^^^^^^^

but you may have a caged cup and 'r' clip. so remove them aswell

iirc, it can be 35mm aswell

Edited by jord294

Anthony

Generally speaking, 1.6 GTi (and base models) are 30mm, and 1.9 (and 309) GTi are 35mm from the factory, although some aftermarket driveshafts come with 32 and 36mm hubnuts respectively.

If the hubnuts that you've got are the staked type, it will make things easier if you relieve the stake that's preventing it from easily turning. Otherwise, as above, a breaker bar and a bit of effort normally suffices.

swordfish210

The can be very stubborn sometimes but having the correct tools for the job (as previously mentioned) makes it so much easier. If you're really struggling then you can allways get a bigger bar:

DSC00058-1.jpg

miamichris

^^^ :) desperate times call for desperate measures I suppose!

pugpete1108

i normally cant be arsed with unstaking the nut, i just use a big bar,not as big as swordfish's though.

you do need to be careful that the stack part doesn't damage the thread though.

when doing both the mgf's nuts i had to get the old lady to put the brakes on as i was rolling the car when trying to undo them as it weighs as much as a canned fart.

i cant imagine my pugs gonna be much different though

swordfish210

Well the car had no brake fluid and no one was around to help so i wedged the wheel with the broken paving slab and i still couldn't get it undone with my 16" breaker bar so i scavanged the pole from the back of the barn and all 70kg's of me was hanging on the end of it before the nut gave way :)

pugpete1108
Well the car had no brake fluid and no one was around to help so i wedged the wheel with the broken paving slab and i still couldn't get it undone with my 16" breaker bar so i scavanged the pole from the back of the barn and all 70kg's of me was hanging on the end of it before the nut gave way :ph34r:

nice one, you cant beat a long pole :) oer or a large hammer :lol:

Guest rowland977

Got it shifted in the end. Had to go a garage and get a gun on it, it took that a while though! Thanks for the replies

pugpete1108
Got it shifted in the end. Had to go a garage and get a gun on it, it took that a while though! Thanks for the replies

lighweight :) there is more to test you owning a 205 beleive me.

still its done thats the main thing

EdCherry

Get some real tools, impact gun!

24seven

Those staked hubnuts are a damm pain in the arse! Every time I've had my engine out so far I've left the driveshafts attached at the hubs and just pulled the bottom of the struts out and swung them out of the way to get them out of the diff. MUCH easier than messing about for ages with the nuts! When time comes to put different hubs on I'm not using staked.

Rupes

I've got the same problem. 7ft pole on the end of an 18" breaker bar ended with a broken breaker bar - snapped the 1/2" drive thingy clean off and it didn't shift the nut a millimeter, I even ground off the staked bit. Why are my cars always such a pain in the ar5e?

Cameron

1/2" drive will never withstand that kind of abuse, that's why the breaker bars have "do not use extension bars" stamped into them. :D

You need at least 3/4" drive for that sort of thing.

The last hub nut I had to undo needed the engine running, brakes on, wheel turned against the kerb and me and a mate hanging off a 4' bar on the end of a 3/4" breaker! They can be stubborn bastards sometimes!

Edited by Cameron

maturin23

:)

I use a 3/4 socket/breaker and slot a 5 foot scaffold pole over the end - keep it tucked under the hedge on my driveway.

You can feel the breaker bar bending :rolleyes:

Edited by maturin23

Sign in to follow this