• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest vinnie_b23

1.6 Gti Dash (choke) Warning Light!

Guest vinnie_b23

I bought this car as a none runner due to a butchered wiring loom. I now have the car running, spitting and farting but she is running. I have tryed to tie up all the loose ends possible.

At the moment i have got all the gauges working (oil, water,petrol) on the dash board but i only have the battery light and handbrake light, no dipped or side lights The orange choke warning light stays on constantly! Any ideas what this means because i know these cars dont have chokes!

richsmells

Definitely the choke light? The Gti instrument panel has one, but it's not used.

What year is it? Later motronic cars ('92+) have a "K" light (engine management).

Good guide on the main site here: http://205gtidrivers.com/articles/m-instrumentpanel.html

Edited by richsmells

steve@cornwall

choke light is controlled by the (normally) yellow wire that hangs loose in the ignition barrel area. If this goes to ground, the light comes on. Do you have dash lights? if not, suspect the dash light dimmer is dis connected - IIRC this stops the side lights (at least at the front ) from working for some reason (after all they don't dim, do they?)

Guest vinnie_b23

Yea its defo the manual choke warning light positioned to the bottom left of the rev counter. As i said the loom was chopped to bits so perhaps i miss-joined a wire.

Iv got no:-

stop light

low radiator light

oil pressure light

side light

dipped light

stop light

Can anybody tell me what light should light up on the dash board when the ignition is switched on.

Guest vinnie_b23
choke light is controlled by the (normally) yellow wire that hangs loose in the ignition barrel area. If this goes to ground, the light comes on. Do you have dash lights? if not, suspect the dash light dimmer is dis connected - IIRC this stops the side lights (at least at the front ) from working for some reason (after all they don't dim, do they?)

Yea iv got the dash back light working, just the instrument and warning lights that arnt ;)

pug_ham

If the instrument & warn lights aren't working check fuse #1 isn't blown but with just the ignition on you should have on the small guages around the speedo & rev counter;

• oil pressure warning light.
  • oil temp warning light.
  • Water temp warning light.

Down the middle of the clocks you should have the top three;

• STOP.
  • Handbrake warning light.(assuming the handbrake is on)
  • Battery charge light.

Graham.

Guest vinnie_b23

OK thanks graham, iv got something to go off now.

Yea the fuse is fine. Im 90% sure its due to wiring. Maybe a bad earth somewhere?

So on ignition i still need:-

* oil pressure warning light.

* oil temp warning light.

* Water temp warning light.

* STOP.

I take it there are seperate wires for the lights and gauges then? i.e oil pressure gauge and oil pressure warning light on the dash are not operated by the same wire.

Sign in to follow this