• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jaggers12

Ignition Coil Wiring

jaggers12

hey can sumone tell me what colour wires go to which side of the ing coils as someone has just cut them off my dimma. thx andy

DamirGTI

Is it round (cylindrical) type coil mounted on wing or square one on the inlet manifold ? :D

Damir B)

jaggers12

its a round one but it was in the boot when i got the car so i will have to mount it on the wing

DamirGTI

IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

.. though the wire color might be a little bit different :D you'll need to double check the wire numbers in the wiring diagram , i can't remember which wire No. goes where on the +/- side of coil , anyway the double green one on the coil negative side is No.112 , purple ?? dunno , and light blue one on the coil positive should be No.3 ..

Damir B)

DamirGTI

... found a few more pics in my database :

Coil :

Jetroniccoil.jpg

..and from ignition amp connector side :

Jetronic.jpg

(just slight correction -> on the ignition amp terminal No.3 is the shielding wire for dizzy signal cable .. so it's not blank ..)

Damir :D

jaggers12

cool thats just what i needed thx i will be asking a few more of these questions at some point as i have lots of cut wires:(

jaggers12

hummm my green wire that goes ti the -tive i a thick green wire with a singel green wire cuming out of it is this right

DamirGTI
hummm my green wire that goes ti the -tive i a thick green wire with a singel green wire cuming out of it is this right

.. sorry i don't understand ?! :blink: (can't read this in order to understand what's written)

Can you make us a few pics of this wiring bits from your car ?

Damir B)

jaggers12

th_DSCF0337.jpg

as you can see theres a thick green wire with only 1 small green wire cumming from it.

aslo do you know what this block is for im thinking old alarm but im unsure

th_DSCF0338.jpg

Edited by pugtorque
edit; links changed to thumbnails

DamirGTI

Pictures are too small :blink:

Damir B)

jaggers12

ive edited to make bigger sorry

DamirGTI

Yes this the green one goes from the fuel pump relay on the coil negative , peel back few inches of the insulation on the thickest part of this wire – you'll find another wire without insulation inside (so two basically – one thin wire with green insulation and another without insulation , both coming from this one part of thick green wire) , then , add connectors on the ends of the each and connect the thin green one with insulation on the coil negative and the other one without insulation on the aluminium bolt on plate for the coil/ignition amplifier ..

Then , look for wire No. 2 , this one goes from the fuse box on the coil positive (it's kinda light blue or light green some strange color shade which I can't describe !) and wire No. 3 which goes from the ignition amp. terminal 1 also on the coil negative (which should hopefully be purple of that orange one on your picture ..) add connectors connect them and that's it .. it should work afterwards

If you're unsure about the light blue/green wire No.2 (this one is positive supply wire for the coil) back probe it with the multimeter (or test light whatever you have) – switch the ignition ON and take a look if theres voltage present ..

Regarding the connector on the second picture , sorry , i've never seen this on any 205 .. must be some kind of alarm plug in socket or something

Anyway , for better understanding , each wire is numbered with number and sometimes letter markings as well stamped near the end of the wire , as the wire colors are a little bit different form one to the another car (depends on model year I guess..) so the only safe method fixing wiring problems and identifying wires is by numbers rather than colors ..

Also , you'll most certainly need wiring diagram when making repairs on el. system . So you can download it over here :

http://www.205gti.com/downloads.htm

Damir :blink:

Edited by DamirGTI

DamirGTI

... to help you out a little bit more with this ..

Easiest way to find this coil positive supply light blue/green wire No.2 is directly from the fuse box (from all the coil/ignition amplifier wiring this is the only wire which goes on/from the fuse box) , you'll find it on this E slot on the fuse box :

post-71-1195267880-1.jpg

.. it's a 2pin slot if i remember :blink: so it'll be first wire on the left .. and you need to cross connect it with the wire No.2B which then goes on the ignition amplifier

Damir B)

Edited by DamirGTI

jaggers12

thanks ive now got the car sparking now :) ive just gotta try and get the fuel pump working and find out where the brown plug with 3 wires from the sensor on the back of the rad goes to

BamBamGTI

Just changed my coil, but ive got different coloured wiring. Im guessing it doesnt matter which side of the terminal the wires connect to, as long as they are on the right terminal?

Pic

th_003-7.jpg

I think I got it right with red being +?

MerlinGTI

Wicked pictures DamirGTI :) saved! :D

BamBamGTI

anyone?

DamirGTI
Just changed my coil, but ive got different coloured wiring. Im guessing it doesnt matter which side of the terminal the wires connect to, as long as they are on the right terminal?

Yes both spade connectors are the same so two for both + and - side .. Is there any numbers on the wires :rolleyes: anyway , if the ignition system works fine don't bother ...

Damir B)

BamBamGTI
Yes both spade connectors are the same so two for both + and - side .. Is there any numbers on the wires :rolleyes: anyway , if the ignition system works fine don't bother ...

Damir B)

nah, I dont know. Im assuming the red wires are +, but its really just a guess. Ive just rebuilt the entire engine, so I cant remember which wires went where on the coil. Must be someone on here with the same wiring? its an 89 1.9 coil on the suspention strut. ill look tomoz for numbers, but because of the plastic covering on the wires I seem to remember I couldnt see any numbers.

Cazzo

I was going to post a pic and ask about a Grey wire on my coil, but the above posts have answered my question.

Thanks Lads

I'll post the pic anyway just incase it helps someone else

19122009938.jpg

ps yea the live wires are not finished yet, need another connector lol

P_Monty
... found a few more pics in my database :

Coil :

Jetroniccoil.jpg

..and from ignition amp connector side :

Jetronic.jpg

(just slight correction -> on the ignition amp terminal No.3 is the shielding wire for dizzy signal cable .. so it's not blank ..)

Damir :)

Damir,

Those pictures might help me with a snag on my 1.9 - do the wiring descriptions apply to all 205s, or only certain ones?

Thanks

Paul

DamirGTI

Yes , this ones above will be fine for all Jetronic 205's :lol: , if it's yours Motronic 1.9 , i have wiring pics for that one too ..

Damir :lol:

P_Monty

Ermm its a 1989 (phase 1.5) The ECU says "Bosch 0 280 000 359" Don't know which type that makes it...

(Yup, I'm still learning)

DamirGTI

It's a Jetronic :lol: therefore the above will do just fine ..

Damir :lol:

P_Monty

Blimey - that was quick - thanks.

Sign in to follow this