• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chocolate_o_brian

Swapping A Door

chocolate_o_brian

Hi guys, a few months back, some knob smacked into my drivers side door and buggered off for me to find it later with a big ass dent in it.

At the time I pushed it out best I could but it bugs me now and I daren't wash the car as it will show really bad. Now I have a spare door funnily enough in Graphite grey ready for a swap over but I'm a little (ok totally) freaked about doing it as it means messing with electrics.

Whats involved ?? and could it be done by say 2 people on a drive in a day? One person being me (captain useless with electrics) and the other a competant DIY'er (with no experience of 205's).

The car has a CAT1 alarm installed so assume the motor things for the central locking will be in thedoor somewhere too with the electric window stuff and whatever else.

Can you tell I have no clue!! :lol:

Help would be great or I could throw some ££ at anyone willing to help me one day.

Edited by chocolate_o_brian

Tom Fenton

It is an easy job. Just label the wires as you disconnect them from things, and put them back where they came from.

chocolate_o_brian
It is an easy job. Just label the wires as you disconnect them from things, and put them back where they came from.

Whats actually inside the door then? The central locking motor, electric window motor, lock, glass etc. Does all this unscrew easily then and just swap over? I've never attempted anything like this thats all Tom.

GLPoomobile

It's all a piece of piss. That hardest part is supporting the door and lining it up, so having two pairs of hands is best.

Everything is easy to unscrew/bolt and swap over if required. Complete childs play. You'll need to unplug any wiring and pull it through the hole in the door. I'd even go so far as to say you wouldn't even need to label the loom as I think the plugs cannot be mixed up, and the way the loom runs will tell you where it goes back.

I have one real piece of advice for you though, and you'll be thanking me for this (no, seriously, you will ;) ). Pug used some awful springy clips along the base of the door that hold the wiring in place (to stop it rattling about). They are an absolute c*nt. You can waste vast amounts of time trying to carefully wiggle the wiring out from under them, or try to pry them back (difficult with not much room) with your fingers, before you eventually resort to brute force and lever them apart to get the wiring out. Then you find that because you've stretched the clip it's now useless as it's as loose as Kerry Katona's mud flaps.

Here's what you do. Instead of pissing about, just drill the f***ers out. They are riveted in, so drill the rivet out and bin them. Then drill another hole above the rivet hole, and loop a cable tie through the 2 holes to secure the wiring back in place. Job's a good-un.

omega

might be a idea as well to stick some rust cure in while its apart

chocolate_o_brian

Thanks for the advice gents. If I can persuade my mate to help me, I'll print this pages off for reference.

Do I need any new clips/pins or whatever holds the door on? And where to get them from??

chocolate_o_brian

Just bttt'ing this as we may attempt it this weekend pending weather.

Do I need to get any clips or pins for the door?

SurGie

It would imo be worth it to replace the pins while you are there, they may get too damaged to reuse any hoo.

There are two types of pins, the early one is a rolled bit of steel and the later type is thicker type with a hex key attachment at the top.

The later type are easier to take off compared to the early type, these also AFAIK help with doors that have dropped because of wear and tear..

chocolate_o_brian
It would imo be worth it to replace the pins while you are there, they may get too damaged to reuse any hoo.

There are two types of pins, the early one is a rolled bit of steel and the later type is thicker type with a hex key attachment at the top.

The later type are easier to take off compared to the early type, these also AFAIK help with doors that have dropped because of wear and tear..

I thought they may be differing types. I'll get a piccy as soon as I can so one of you guys can tell me which I have. I'll get some from a dealers then.

To add, I've had a look on service box and can't find the buggers (2 pins or the middle hinge thing).

Edited by chocolate_o_brian

chocolate_o_brian

Just took these in the dark so not brilliant. Do I have the earlier type as 4 bolts in the door seems an easier way of doing it?

S6300954.jpg

S6300966.jpg

CosKev

Yeah they are early pins.

I would remove the door by unbolting from the hinge as you say,but while you have the door off knock out your old pins and replace with new ;)

Make sure they are greased up too,as your hinges now are as dry as a bone and started to rust.

SurGie

The top part of those early pins are just plastic caps.

The middle bit is not a pin but a door brace, which keeps doors open in two stages. Take out the pin and replace it, thats all

thats needed.

SurGie

Yes they hammer out, you will need a certain tool for it though. Don't buy them from him, Pug will be much cheaper.

chocolate_o_brian
Yes they hammer out, you will need a certain tool for it though. Don't buy them from him, Pug will be much cheaper.

Issue being Peugeot usually need to order them in which takes the Hull/Donny dealers about a bloody week - plus postage during strikes <_< Gorrrr, bugger :blush:

DirtyFlare

are they not just roll pins? that you can get for a couple of pence from a nut and bolts supplier?

If anyone who knows the diameter and length of the pins would post them up, then you could try else where than pug.

chocolate_o_brian
are they not just roll pins? that you can get for a couple of pence from a nut and bolts supplier?

If anyone who knows the diameter and length of the pins would post them up, then you could try else where than pug.

An option I suppose. Shame I can't be cheeky and have some machined at work.

chocolate_o_brian

Thank feck its DONE!

5 bloody hours B)

Door looks lots better now so other one is free to a good home.