• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
garagegeek

Remote Central Locking

garagegeek

i've got a 205 1.9 ,1991 it came with only two keys when i bought it ,does anyone know if ever had a central locking key fob ? it's got the little black dome sensor near the interior light and all doors lock when i lock the drivers door

Baz

Yes it would've done, if you remove the roof console, and find the receiever behind the small dome you describe, there'll be a code tag on/in this, this way your dealer can supply a new coded transponder/plip for it.

Rock Lobster

Any idea how much these cost out of interest? The transponder i mean?

Baz

About £70. £155 for the pair.

Edited by Baz

j_turnell

Personally i'd either try find a second hand one, which i did, cost around £25, or get a decent alarm fitted with RCL.

Rock Lobster

Thats just ridiculous. £75 for a alarm fob! May as well just fit a thatcham approved alarm and not bother!

Ryan
Thats just ridiculous. £75 for a alarm fob! May as well just fit a thatcham approved alarm and not bother!

Try buying a key for any modern car. If the key has an immobiliser transponder in it then you're not going to get change from £50

Also, the fobs for the 205 aren't programmable like modern cars, they're matched to one particular receiver, so I imagine the high price is because they have to be built made to order.

Edited by Ryan

Rock Lobster

Are factory alarms actually any good though? I've recently bought a gti with an immobiliser and a factory fitted alarm, but no fob, so I can't arm it. So I was just going to remove the old system and fit a toad unit. Is it worth going to the expense?

While we're on the subject, can you fit a thatcham approved alarm yourself and still get hold of a certificate for the insurance?

Sorry for all the questions, bit of a grey area for me!

Ryan

You can fit them yourself and then get it inspected by a professional fitter (usually for a fee) who'll then stamp the certificate.

Rock Lobster

Fantastic, this is good news for me! All about the cheapness over here!

Miles

Only vary late 205's had a factory fit alarm and that was basic, the std dealer Alarm just about lasted the 12 months before the warranty run out, Good old Moss (Amstrad)

Watch out on any alarm install's as who ever teach's them about Electric's needs the theory of resistance taught to them

CosKev
Fantastic, this is good news for me! All about the cheapness over here!

Been quoted £50 for a cat1 check on an alarm allready fitted,so if you price up a fitted Toad alarm compared to fitting yourself your only payin circa £50 to have it fitted. :angry:

Rock Lobster

True enough I guess. That £50 will be saving a whole lot of hastle!

GLPoomobile
True enough I guess. That £50 will be saving a whole lot of hastle!

Or introducing a whole lot of hassle through bad workmanship, depending on your point of view and previous experience of alarm fitters :blush:

M@tt

phone round a few places, i got a place near me to stamp my certificate for £15 iirc after i installed my toad alarm myself

Rock Lobster

just been quoted £200 just to fit a toad system! How hard is it to fit these cat 1 systems? Self explanatory or a nightmare? I'm not too bad with the wiring side of things so I'd be willing to have a bash!

The installers that quoted me reckoned on a days work, and I'd agree with you GLP, I don't like people spannering my car at the best of times, even more so with something that could cause so much grief.

Edited by Rock Lobster

CosKev
just been quoted £200 just to fit a toad system! How hard is it to fit these cat 1 systems? Self explanatory or a nightmare? I'm not too bad with the wiring side of things so I'd be willing to have a bash!

The installers that quoted me reckoned on a days work, and I'd agree with you GLP, I don't like people spannering my car at the best of times, even more so with something that could cause so much grief.

£200 just for fitting?????? :)

Just had a Toad Ai606 fitted to my 309 Gti at my house for £205 all in,alarm/fitted/certificate. ;)

I was there when he fitted it and watched him working,did a good job,very neat and tidy.

Fitted switch under bonnet,and ran a wire the length of car folllowing orig wiring back to switch in boot :)

http://www.secureacar.co.uk/

Rock Lobster

I agree, an outrageous price just for fitting! Cheers for the link buddy, I'll check it out.

jason7579

I have a Foxguard alarm / immobiliser on my 205 (will be upgrading to a Toad AI606 when funds allow) and I have the black remote central locking dome near my sunroof. Should I be able to wire my current alarm into the remote central locking circuit that is already in the car without adding any extra modules, as I assume there is already a module in the car to work with the black dome thing.