• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chopper

1.9 Gti Starting Issues. Common Problem?

chopper

Ok people, im having a problem with car. When i come to start it i have to apply a good bit of throttle to get the car to fire, the car just refuses to start with no foot on the throttle.

If i dont get it to fire straight away i have to wind it over for a while (perhaps 5-8 seconds ) before it might fire up.

Once running, the engine is spot on.

It is a '89 1.9 gti.

Somebody suggested that there is a valve somewhere which blocks up/fails causing what i have described and that turning the tick over up may cure things?

Any help would be great!

The Arch Bishop

SAD (cold start) valve maybe? Do a search on the forum for that. Lots of info dotted about as it's a common problem.

AlexRS2782

This happened on my 1.9 a month or so after i bought it - found this forum, had a read through some posts and found my problem was due to the SAD, Supplementary Air Device, sticking, which meant the car was hard to start.

I removed the SAD, cleaned it with WD40 and refitted - I found it improved the problem and the car then started 1st time every time. I also adjusted the idle screw very slightly to slightly raise the idle at the same time and the car has run spot on since.

From reading posts on here before it can also be worth checking the condition of the usual items like plugs, leads, coil, earthing, etc, as these can also contribute to similar problems.

First point would to be run a search on "supplementary air device" or "sad" as there are quite a few threads on this little device

Edited by AlexRS2782

chopper

Great stuff, mucho thanks for the advice, i shall go and do some searching !

Sign in to follow this