• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest timH

Front Anti Roll Bar Bushes.

Guest timH

are the left hand and the right hand bushes different sizes? - as I need to replace mine I think. (1.9)

Thanks

Tim

Snowman

They are different yes. One of them, the left I think, is bigger to go over a 'lump' on the ARB.

I believe they are colour coded too.

Chris

Guest timH

thanks.

Do I have to remove drive shafts to fit them? - is it an easy job?

Snowman

To be honest I don't know completely.

I know that it is possible to remove the ARB by disconnecting it from the droplinks and then lowering the subframe slightly to remove it. I can't remember too many details as it was a long long time ago. Doing it this way I couldn't say if there is enough space to change bushes etc but I would imagine so.

I can't see you having to remove the drive shafts as they shouldn't be in the way.

HTH ?

Chris

Guest timH

thanks Chris,

i'll give it a whirl then.

Tim

Guest chief

Just adding some detail to what Chris has said, because it's fresh in my head having replaced these bushes last week.

The two bushes are the same size externally. But they are different internally as well as being different colours. The LHS (orange) bush has a circular channel carved out of the centre to fit over a locating bulge on the ARB. The right hand side is blue btw. To change them:

1. Jack car and remove both wheels.

2. Undo the bottom nuts of the drop links and separate them from the ARB.

3. Undo the nuts on the ARB bush brackets.

4. Drop the subframe enough to remove the bush brackets. To do this remove the four bolts (two on both sides beside the bush brackets) and lever the subframe down enough to withdraw the brackets.

5. The bushes are split and come off easily when the brackets are out of the way.

6. Fit new bushes making sure the LHS locates properly over the bulge on the ARB.

7. Refit bush brackets (Haynes says leave final tightening until the full weight of the car is on the wheels)

8. Tighten up subframe

9. Re-connect drop links.

10. etc.

Guest timH

superb!.

has it made any difference to the driving of the car?

Guest chief

Hard for me to say - I also did both wishbones, track rod ends and suspension top mounts at the same time. Once I got the tracking done after that lot the car is driving brilliantly. It had a tendency to wander a bit on long sweeping corners and generally felt unstable and tracky at high speed. That's all gone now but my entire suspension (apart from the ARB) has been replaced by now.

Guest chownr

Chief

Can you tell me how long it took you to replace all of the above and approx cost as well. Thinking of doing this just need to set aside some time and source the bits

Thanks

Rich

Guest chief
Chief

Can you tell me how long it took you to replace all of the above and approx cost as well.  Thinking of doing this just need to set aside some time and source the bits

Thanks

Rich

Everything was bought from Autofive. I've deleted the quote from my email but roughly £200 including VAT and delivery for 2 track control arms, 2 track rod ends, 2 ARB bushes, 2 suspension top mount repair kits.

Time wise, I did the wishbones one day and the rest the next. I'm sure if you were in a hurry you could get it all done a lot quicker than this but I usually take my time. Even though the car is my daily runner, working on it has become a hobby for me so I don't usually rush.

Sign in to follow this