• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
madspikes

Heated Mirrors.....

madspikes

Now that the 205 has been forced into a daily driver, a few of its 25 year old technology is getting to me! Dont get me wrong, I love my 205, when its working! Anyway, while im stuck on the sofa my mind has started wondering....

Heated mirrors is my current bug bear, as in I dont have them! I was wonder if anyone has fitted 206 mirrors or other mirrors that have a heating element? I'm not fused about electric moving mirrors, just the headed glass.

Mad.

Tom Fenton

I'm sure I've seen some 309 mirrors on ebay before that were heated. Obviously these are a direct fit to 205 doors although they don't look quite "right" IMO.

madspikes

The problem is I dont really want to change the look! From what I have read some 205s came with them, but only the left hand side glass is still available (bloody french!)!

Just found these sheets on ebay... they might do the trick!

Ebay link

Anyone got pictures of the inside of a 205 mirror?

Mad.

28CRAIG

I am think that stdt's and griffe's have them:unsure:

weejimmy

my stdt had them.

strange you can only ge one glass thoe

Gentry_Ba

hello!

my gentry has them, too. in germany all griffe's & gentrys had them.

just have a look at ebay.de sometimes, I'm sure, you can get a pair of them (but they aren't the cheapest)...

cheers,

matthias

Goliath

Easiest to find a pair off a gentry. I have a pair of 309 heated mirrors, I keep meaning to dismantle them and put the heating element inside a 205 mirror but not got round to doing it yet!

welshpug

the heating element is glued to the back of the glass...

cRaig

Ive managed to aquire 1 passenger heated mirror recently by accident more than anything, although I think im going to take it apart anyway, as Im more interested in fitted electric mirrors from a 106, rather than heated ones :P Dont know if its going to work yet lol

ALEX

I wonder if you could make one yourself using something like a conductive paint like the stuff from Halfords you use to repair rear window elements.

Glue some copper wire to the back and paint a pattern like that ebay link and connect it to the rear window heater circuit.

I'm not an electrician, but It might work, or blow a fuse or something.

Could be worth a try.

cRaig

Thats not a bad idea! certainly worth testing out I think :)

SurGie

How would you get the mirror out from the 205 wind mirror without breaking it ?

You could try using a stencil for the element if the glass can come out. ?

ALEX
How would you get the mirror out from the 205 wind mirror without breaking it ?

You could try using a stencil for the element if the glass can come out. ?

I was thinking about using a stencil, can you get conductive paint in a spray can?

I've never had a wingmirror apart but I'd have thought the glass would come out some how.

Edited by ALEX

GLPoomobile

You can remove the glass easily. Just pull back the ribbed rubber bit and poke your fingers inside behind the glass (might have been easier for me as I have girls fingers) and then carefully push against it. Might need some persuasion, but as long as you go easy you should hopefully overcome the adhesive before the glass shatters and cuts your fingers :D

I've wanted to give leccy mirrors a go for some time, but it's another project that stays in my head and never gets done :) Was thinking of getting a leccy mirror from another model and pulling it all apart, then emptying the inside of a 205 mirror (would need to cut away the metal bit inside) and seeing if the motor and gubbins could be made to fit inside.