• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lagonda

New Engine/underbonnet Loom; 89 1.6 Cti

lagonda

I understand this loom is separate, ie just plugs in, so was wondering if replacing it was viable rather than trying to deal with corroded connectors, oxidised/broken wires.

So...does anyone know of anyone that produces/sells these at sensible money?

flipperthebushkangaroo

Was thinking of building one but need an old one as a pattern (off a1.6 gti phase 1.5) should not be too hard and might be posible to uprate the dreaded brown multi plug at the same time.

i'm guessing the looms are the same for both cti and gti not sure about 1.6 to 1.9 though.

Roddie

Miles

Why uprate the brown plug? as it's not even needed. Just remove it and no more problems as I do with all my new loom's

Galifrey
Why uprate the brown plug? as it's not even needed. Just remove it and no more problems as I do with all my new loom's

What do you do instead Miles?

Bogsye

Where is a good place to get new connectors? The only ones I've seen are the low quality white metal ones that are oxidised in no time. :)

lagonda

Miles has got a point....just why does there need to be a joint in the loom there? It's not as if it's easy to get to!

And yes, the stupid brown multiplug is one reason I'm considering a new loom.

Miles

Go direct, Lets face it is you take the engine out the ECU loom needs to come off so another 7 wires isn;t difficult, As with anything electrical etc the less join's or connectors the better

DrSarty

Totally agree with Miles. It was a link created by the manufacturer to ease the assembly line.

Now after 15-20 plus years that link has become a weak link as it's exposed and gets corroded. But it's only a set of metal pins; it's nothing to be afraid of.

Just remove the link with proper cutting, cleaning, soldering or crimping (rejoining 1 by 1) and reprotecting of the wires, and that's the whole issue resolved.

flipperthebushkangaroo

How does the loom to the engine come through the bulkhead is it a plug break or a cables through a grommet, might be a tidy job to fit a bulkhead connector then the engine could be disconnected there as it is on aircraft??

Just a thought

Roddie

DrSarty
How does the loom to the engine come through the bulkhead is it a plug break or a cables through a grommet, might be a tidy job to fit a bulkhead connector then the engine could be disconnected there as it is on aircraft??

Just a thought

Roddie

Cables through a grommet by the clutch cable (and right past the exhaust) Roddus. Hence I move it to the other side of the engine bay, either through a grommet or a large weather-proof bulkhead connector.

marksorrento205

I do the same as the dr. I buy these grommets

Grommets

Sign in to follow this