• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BackStreetRacecars

Aftermarket Ecu Query....

BackStreetRacecars

Right this may sound stupid (I start a lot of posts like this!!) but I presume that you can run any common rail electronic injector type diesel on after market management in the same way you can a petrol with t/bs or whatever? Does anyone know of anyone that does is or had done it in the past???

RossD

Not a chance I'm afraid. Common rail injectors are peak and hold, they take about 100 volts to open them and about 50 volts to keep them open... With several amps too!

There is only one aftermarket diesel ECu that I know of and it's certianly not affordable!

A petrol ECU simply doesnt have the correct inputs\outputs to control the common rail actuators and sensors.

Mad Professor

At the rolling road where I used to work I used to fit Steinbauer PBOX this is not an aftermarket ecu, more a piggyback system, and on some cars it made me think about buying a diesel.

The pbox is not cheap starting from around £250 up.

BackStreetRacecars

ok cool... thanks fr the input guys... I have access to the tune-it type piggyback tuning device that plugs into the injector rail and had various settings... was just a shot in the dark really!!

sub205

you can't use a normal petrol ecu (despite of the outputs/inputs) because diesel, just like direct injection petrol engines need perfect timing of injection.

a normal car gets its fuel trough every cycle, the time is not critical because it will stay behind the valve until its sucked in. but direct injection engines need accurate timing so the fuel gets in the chamber at a well defined time in the cycle. i think thats the main reason its so complicated, not the output-loads of the injector controllers.

decoc182

What engine / ecu combination do you have?

I know I have a few .bin's kicking about that work on the bosch edc15 DW10 HDI engines. I have the 115bhp generic non I/C map, and the 150 bhp Intercooler map. Yours for beer tokens if you know someone handy with a kwp2000 and a laptop/pc ;)

PM if your interested.

All Praise The GTI

ooo sorry to butt in but ive just got a 306 hdi and was looking at these tuning boxes but i dont know much about them and cautious of the cheapish ebay ones and i cant afford a ecu remap although i heard you can buy a thing and remap it yourself if you can get the maps

anyone know much about these as id like a lil more boost out of it ;)

thanks in advance

weejimmy

basicly as post above you need a kwp2000 a lap top and a map that seem to be floating about for cheap.

All Praise The GTI

how safe is remapping it myself,dont wanna fry ecu or bugger my engine :angry:

decoc182

Providing the .bin is safe, and the laptop/pc does not crash or power off during the flash process its pretty safe. I flashed mine outside my local pcworld (after going to get the USB cable for £30 thieves! ) That was an awesome drive home :angry:

Tuning boxes, from what Im aware, trick the fuel pressure sensor value to the ecu, so that the ecu provides more fuel. Bit like an ebay resistor, but slightly more effective. Remap will always be better IMO.

BackStreetRacecars

who stocks the kwp2000 then?? or is it a question of... cheap ebay interface then decent program?

Edited by BackStreetRacecars