• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chocolate_o_brian

Misfire On Idle

chocolate_o_brian

He doesn't have internet access at the min so I'm asking on behalf of my work mate who's got an issue with his 205.

It's a '93 K-plate 205 1.4 XS so assume it's a carb engine and the TU3 series?

Anywho, the issue is it idles terribly. Either warm or cold it sounds awful, like it's missing a cylinder or something. BUT when driving normally it's perfectly fine, again either warm or cold (engine and atmospheric temp). So he's basically self taught to start the car up and immediately hold it at higher revs than the normal idle. He told me it's firing on all cylinders so assume he's checked the plugs/leads etc, but says on this crappy idle the car is wasting copious amounts of fuel. Again when driving or sitting at higher revs, this isn't the case.

I'm stumped so said I'd ask on here for some input.

Any more details required, I can certainly ask him if it helps.

RossD

If it is a carb (Unless it's a late registration, otherwise it *should* be injection) I'd say it was a choke problem.

Edited by RossD

decoc182

Mine did this for a long while. Mine was a J reg, which ran the bosch single point injection 75bhp iron block engine. It could be the same in your friends. If so, check the seal between the throttle body housing and the inlet manifold. I know mine had similar symptons and found the gasket had wasted away.

If you get know joy mate, Ive got a whole spare setup for a single point injection thats gathering dust and works ;)

chocolate_o_brian
Mine did this for a long while. Mine was a J reg, which ran the bosch single point injection 75bhp iron block engine. It could be the same in your friends. If so, check the seal between the throttle body housing and the inlet manifold. I know mine had similar symptons and found the gasket had wasted away.

If you get know joy mate, Ive got a whole spare setup for a single point injection thats gathering dust and works :lol:

Thanks for that, I'll send him and email and her can read your reply himself :angry: