• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpaul

Draining & Refilling Gearbox Oil?

pugpaul

I have used the search and used Google but to no joy.

On my 1990 ph2 1.8 diesel 205, how do I drain the gearbox oil and where do I refill it? Im 99% sure its a BE3 box.

Any pics would be great, if not a bit of in depth detail as im not all that good with mechanics :D

Also...... Is this good oil to use?

Castrol SMX S 75w-85 Fully Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid

Im not worried about the price as if its extra good for my Pug then I dont mind spending out extra cash.

Edited by pugpaul

andyjstone

Remove the drain plug from the bottom - it's at the back, so quite tricky to see and get to, I think its 19mm.

To refill you put back in the drain plug and remove the level plug, which is on the side of the final drive case facing the passenger side wheel - if you remove the wheel, you will see it facing you on the bottom right side.

Then remove the plug on the top and fill up - should take about 2 litres.

I use Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 synthetic manual transmission fluid.

• Like 1

Saveit

The drain plug is 21mm....

DrSarty

The product recommended by Peugeot is best/safest and is available from main dealers. People even with plate diffs use it.

But any product with the correct temp/viscosity rating will work.

Drain as desbribed, but the best way to fill it is through the breather on the top by the clutch lever. It takes a bit of time, but, with 2 x 1 litre gearbox oil bottles you don't have to faff about level checking, as you know you've put the right amount in. :D

brumster
Drain as desbribed, but the best way to fill it is through the breather on the top by the clutch lever. It takes a bit of time, but, with 2 x 1 litre gearbox oil bottles you don't have to faff about level checking, as you know you've put the right amount in. :D

Echo'd :)

andyjstone
It takes a bit of time, but, with 2 x 1 litre gearbox oil bottles you don't have to faff about level checking, as you know you've put the right amount in. :)

That's the only way I can do it as I can't get the level plug out :D

Sign in to follow this