• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pablo

Xu10j2te Collets

pablo

Changing the valve stem oil seals on my car and am stumped. At the stage when Im using the comressor to push the spring down (ok) but I cant see how to remove the collets. In any pics Ive seen collets are 2 pieces so pretty much fall out. But on my head the collet seems to be a single circular piece around the valve stem.

Any tips on removing?

cheers.

DrSarty

Hmm..this is interesting.

I would say they would have to be 'standard' 2-piece collets, and perhaps you just can't see the join because of oil, assembly grease, contamination etc.

I'd be tempted to maybe wash down with some petrol or brake cleaner and have a good look, where they could be split by a Stanley blade or perhaps pulled out with one of those 'magnet on a stick' thingies one half at a time.

If not, then I'm baffled how it gets put together TBH. Do you have the Haynes manual?

pablo

Ill have a closer look later, I actually have a spare head as well and it was obviously 2 piece collets could see that a mile off but this one really does look like one piece.

Ill give it a little tap and see what happens. And have a look at the Haynes (although it doesnt cover the turbo engine)

welshpug

its exactly the same head as the N/A engine, so I'd imagine it wont be anything different, just needs more light, a pokey thing and a magnet on a stick.

pablo

awesome, Ill ready the pokey stick!

pablo

guess what, they are two pieces. dufus :(

impossible to see the join when they are together though!!!

pablo

well one pair removed just need to get the oil seal out now.

pablo

well that was F-ing fun :ph34r:

all done though, just to refit the timing belt and all the 8 million bits of crap attached to the engine.

welshpug

don't forget to check and adjust the clearances if necessary, makes such a difference for such little money and some time :ph34r:

M@tt

putting the fookers back in is a right ball ache!! :D

pablo

that wasnt so bad to be honest. figuring out what to lever my homebrew compressor on was the hard bit as I didnt take the head off.

ended up just shy of genius levels of ingenuity :D

Sign in to follow this