• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gav_mi16

2 Thou Too Much?

gav_mi16

Got my old head back from the engine place a few weeks ago, i'm building it up ready for the Mrs' car as her head gasket is on it's way out. So decided on a whim to measure it and there is a 2 thou belly between 3 and 4 accross the head.

Now they said it had a heavy skim and it was "right bellied" and i know it was skimmed years ago at least one probably twice. But i have no idea how much each time.

So is 2 thou too much for the gasket to take up ( I will be using a thicker gasket if that changes anything) and is there anyway of checking if there is more meat left (water channels etc).

Don't want the 50quid for the skim to go to waste really, but at the same time I can't afford the time if it's not going to seal.

Cheers.

EDIT: Its an '89 1.6GTi head

Edited by gav_mi16

DrSarty

I've just looked up some figures/tolerances in the Haynes manual. Not sure if it helps you.

XU9 Cyl Head

Maximum gasket face distortion . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.05 mm

Cylinder head height: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 141.0 ± 0.05 mm

Edited by DrSarty

gav_mi16

0.05mm is just under 2 thou by my conversion, so i could be in luck! I'll probably have a more accurate measure now with the dial guage.

Thanks for the info :D

gav_mi16

I've been all over the head and can't work out where Peugeot measure the head height to. Can anyone help, cheers.

mickie

isnt it normally where the cam cover sits to the head gasket

gav_mi16

That's what I thought, but the 1.6 has an angled cam cover face, and the only place you can get 141mm is part way up the bearing face of the camshaft which is not right obviously.

EDIT: Think i've ound the answer, the camshaft needs fitting and 3 main bearing caps fitted then it's measured to the top of the camshaft end on the cambelt side. No wonder i couldn't work it out!

Edited by gav_mi16

Sign in to follow this