• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sport1901966

106 Gti Fuel Filter Formi16 Conversion

sport1901966

Hi all,

Sorting the fueling out for my at Mi16 conversion the moment but I need some more info on pipe and inlet/outlet diameters.

What I know -

205 filter has 8mm inlet and 8mm outlet

Mi16 fuel rail has 10mm inlet and 8mm outlet (from regulator)

So I'm going to buy some longer 8mm hose for the fuel reg to tank

What I need to know ;) -

Now my problem is that from what I've read the 106 gti fuel filter outlet is 10mm (matching that of the Mi16 fuel rail inlet) but my main question is what is the size of the 106 gti fuel filter inlet - as the hose from the fuel pump is 8mm?

If anyone knows or can correct anywhere I'm wrong that would be great. Thanks! :D

Edited by sport1901966

DrSarty

Remember your fuel inlet piping is the only thing that needs to go from the bulkhead, through the 106GTI filter and onto the rail. The difference in the outlet/return on the rail is not important here.

The 'tubes' on the 106 filter are quite small, so I would say the 8mm fuel pipe is better, and I even remember there being an inbetween size. But even if you use 8mm you can heat it to get it on the rail, or if you use 10mm you can make an insert and/or clamp it.

It's possible that I used a joiner to move up from the smaller size to the larger size to join with the rail.

But in short and in practice, it's not as difficult as you're making it out to be.

Look on ze left hant site! ;)

h4h09day1331.jpg

Rich

Edited by DrSarty

timb1046

not the same car, but before when joining 10mm down to 8mm i have used 9mm hosing, heated very gently to fit on the 10mm and then clamped (just in case, and slotted and clamped it onto the 8mm fixing.

sport1901966
Remember your fuel inlet piping is the only thing that needs to go from the bulkhead, through the 106GTI filter and onto the rail. The difference in the outlet/return on the rail is not important here.

I do realise that - I was just thinking out loud as such - it looks like the return pipe needs to be longer ideally, hence listing it that I need a new one.

The 'tubes' on the 106 filter are quite small, so I would say the 8mm fuel pipe is better, and I even remember there being an inbetween size. But even if you use 8mm you can heat it to get it on the rail, or if you use 10mm you can make an insert and/or clamp it.

It's possible that I used a joiner to move up from the smaller size to the larger size to join with the rail.

But in short and in practice, it's not as difficult as you're making it out to be.

Look on ze left hant site! :D

h4h09day1331.jpg

Rich

The problem I have is I don't have the fuel pipe that ran from the filter to the rail on the Mi16 engine - which is why I need to buy some more. Which I think should be 10mm ID because the original pipe would have been. :huh:

I would then therefore expect that the reason that the 106 gti filter is used is because it has a 10mm outlet, so no reducers or custom filter banjos are required?

This then lead me to wonder what size the inlet is - as the current hose is 8mm, and I wouldn't expect the 106 filter to have an 8mm inlet but 10mm outlet?

Thanks for your help! I'm sure your right and I'm making this more difficult than it needs to be! ;)

Actually to summarise - does the original 8v hose to the original 8v filter (8mm I/D) need to be changed to fit a 106 gti filter?

DrSarty

You certainly don't need any banjos.

I'd just get a handful of proper fuel line clips and 1metre of each type of hose and dry fit, keeping it all in good nick and returning what you don't need.

sport1901966
You certainly don't need any banjos.

I'd just get a handful of proper fuel line clips and 1metre of each type of hose and dry fit, keeping it all in good nick and returning what you don't need.

Sounds like a good plan, maybe I'm trying to be too precise!

Baz

I did this again the other day, pretty sure i used 8mm ID hose from the metal fuel rail at the bulkhead, (using the original screw-on banjo) to a Corsa filter on the inner wing, then straight to the fuel rail. TB's fuel rail in this case but i remember it being a bit more of a PITA to get on the std Mi rail, just perseverance is needed!

Crap picture but you can see it here;

DSC00864.jpg

sport1901966

Cool, thanks for all the help guys, I shall report back on my progress,I hope to get the stuff this afternoon!

Sign in to follow this