• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
brumster

[engine_work] Engine Upgrade Mi16->s16

Sandy

Just to convey what I have experienced, self mapping via lambda is not in my view a suitable substitute for doing it manually. The two main issues being that you have to pre-determine the AFR and don't have a chance to establish what will work best (there isn't a definitive AFR value for all circumstances). I know that alot of people work to something like 14.5 part throttle, through to 12.8 full throttle, which is ok in general, but far from optimum in many cases! Second thing is, by virtue of interpolation and correction, it produces a very spiky map that doesn't give steady values that are needed for smooth and crisp running.

I've had several EFI equipped engines in that have been mapped by closed loop (by someone that is well known) and they have all been rich and very boggy. One of them, a Castle Combe racer I re-mapped "manually" (which I found to be a massive PITA with EFI), went back out and beat his best lap time for the season by 1.5 seconds immediately and has gone quicker since. Let alone the massive grin on his face after the first time out!

I'm not saying this for any other reason than to illustrate, that in practice I don't think closed loop works as well as you think it should.