• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atari Boy

Questions For Paint Pro’s

Atari Boy

I am about to refurbish some rims. Chcolate O Brian has an interesting thread which I have read several times. Halford rattle cans came under fire once or twice on the thread and 2k paint was also recommended.

Now I know nothing about paint and spraying but have a few questions if I may, some of which may sound daft so please forgive me.

Is 2K paint better than one pack stuff, I believe it is?

If I use 2K primer, do I have to use 2K paint and lacquer?

How many coats do I need of primer, paint and lacquer?

How many ish coats will I get out of a 400mm rattle can?

What is the OE colour for 1.9 Speedlines?

Sorry about so many questions

Many thanks

Jonny

pugpete1108

i'd reccomend forgetting it and just getting them powdercoated :)

i am still halfway through doing mine in white and i forget now how much paint i used but it was quite alot, something like a 500ml can of primer for each wheel and the same with the top coat and again with the laquer.. ad the cost up along with the effort and it wont be much more to get them powdercoated (which was what i wish i had done).

and the fact it takes ages for the laquer to dry properly so if you knock them they gat marked really easily.

i'm sure 2k would be much more hardwearing though if you can get hold of some in a can? and yes if you use 2k primer you need to use 2k throughout.

dunno about std wheel colour thou sorry

jimistdt

If you've got the time, patience and the determination and the right enviornment to do it in then I'd say good luck to you, but I agree with Pete that for the expense in both money and time invested it will be more economical to get them powder coated, if you ring round or better get somewhere on recommendation you can get it done for £20-30 a corner.

Best of British to you if you do decide to go for it, unfortunately I'm not a guru at painting, but I do know a good powder coater, and I'd rather look at the finish of his wheels rather than some enthusiatic effort of my own.

:)

DamirGTI

2k paints are toxic :P (they contain "Isocyanate" , which is very nasty stuff and can kill if misused i.e. if you don't wear proper breathing/filtration equipment while applying the paint...)

Id use acrylic or cellulose laquer , acrylics have excellent high shine/gloss qualities and fast drying time .. and you can get them in bigger tins rather than rattle cans so that you can use/apply paint with the proper spray gun , but also , do yourself a favour and buy proper breathing mask with filters as non of this paint stuff isn't considered "nice" for lungs :D .. anyway acrylic , cellulose and oil based enamel (oil based are rather crappy because it takes AGES for them to dry !) paints are considered way less health hazard that this nasty 2k stuff therefore perfect for us DIY-ers ..

Damir :D

Tom Fenton

I did my wheels in 2k, much more durable and resistant to brake dust eating into it too. Without wanting to sound harsh, rattle cans are a waste of time to do any kind of area as you just don't get the build. If you look in my turbo build thread how I did my wheels is in there somewhere.

Atari Boy

If I can get them powder coated for £25 a corner then it sounds like a no brainer.

I did fancy a nice winter project although 2k paint sounds nasty.

DamirGTI

Worth consider doing all preparation job by yourself , and then find someone to spray them wheels for you with 2k paint .. at least that'll keep the costs down a bit :P

Damir :D

pablo

done my track wheels there over the last few days:

1 big tin of primer

1 big tin of matt black

1-2 big tins of laquer

total cost £20 ish.

Wont compare to powdercoating or 2pack paint (this isnt legal any more is it?) but shedloads cheaper. Using a whole can of primer on each wheel is nuts. All you want from the primer to give something to sand flat and allow the colour to bed to. More laquer the better but two big cans (Id avoid halfords for the laquer) should be plenty for a set of 15s.

If you are REALLY tight, ONE (yes one) can of halfords appliance white, or Autoglym wheel silver will pait a set of 15s. No primer, no laquer. Total cost £6 odds.

Atari Boy

I have found a place that will blast, powder and laquer for £25 all in which I think is hard to beat.

Edited by Atari Boy

jimistdt

All in? As in all 4 - 'tis a bargain - although my guy says the lacquer can be prone to yellowing and the brake dust can burn it easier.

Food for thought?

Baz

That has to be per wheel? Jonny?

pablo

some places wont powder coat 2nd hand rims due to the stress of the heat on internal cracks or something too.

Atari Boy
That has to be per wheel? Jonny?

Alas so, but better than the £44 + VAT that someone else quoted.

pugpete1108
done my track wheels there over the last few days:

1 big tin of primer

1 big tin of matt black

1-2 big tins of laquer

total cost £20 ish.

Wont compare to powdercoating or 2pack paint (this isnt legal any more is it?) but shedloads cheaper. Using a whole can of primer on each wheel is nuts. All you want from the primer to give something to sand flat and allow the colour to bed to. More laquer the better but two big cans (Id avoid halfords for the laquer) should be plenty for a set of 15s.

If you are REALLY tight, ONE (yes one) can of halfords appliance white, or Autoglym wheel silver will pait a set of 15s. No primer, no laquer. Total cost £6 odds.

yes i must be nuts :blush: it took so much primer as the wheels had been sandblasted with a coarse medium before i got them, cue lots of dimples to be filled and lots of rubbing back, and as said with rattles you dont get the depth so i put on a can per wheel to make sure

thats not just painting the fronts it the whole wheel back too.

pablo

LOL been there with a sandblasted wheel, need gallons of primer to fill it ffs. I retract :blush:

Baz
Alas so, but better than the £44 + VAT that someone else quoted.

Hell yes, pretty good, i was referring to Jimi's comment above mine!

pugpete1108
LOL been there with a sandblasted wheel, need gallons of primer to fill it ffs. I retract ;)

no worries, i probabally did go ott with the base and laquer though :D but hey i figured the more paint the better, give it two mins on the open road and they will be curbed anyway :blush:

philfingers

I did some in March, DA'd them down with the tyres on, masked the tyres off, etch primer, high build primer and a £5 pot of hammerite smooth gold (which is an odd colour!) thinned down with the same amounf of celly thinners. They came out ok.

Just done another 8, got them blasted for £5 each and then etch primer, high build primer and used some old enamel (Ford diamond white ahem!) I had kicking about. Took ages to dry but I put too much on and it's wrinkled in some of the low spots. Shame as the rest of them is ok. All using a compressor and proper gun. Stinks the place out tho for sure!

I bought a 2k laquer rattle can today to do a carbon mudguard for my bike. Hopefully it should come out ok

SurGie

What about acid dip, do powder coaters do this, if not where would do acid dip ?