• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jason7579

Heater Blower Motor Control Unit

jason7579

I mean the little card type unit that sits under the dash near the fan that seems to be a fairly common problem on the 205.

I've taken mine apart as it isn't working (and managed to snap the circuit board in the process :( ) and I was wondering if it should be possible to get the bits from Maplins or other electronics shops and make my own - or at least glue my board back together, clean it up and replace all of the components and go over the silver bit(track???) with some of that stuff you can get to repair the heated rear windows.

I know someone who does soldering for a living so I thought if I get the stuff she can put it all on for me.

What exactly is the little metal disc as I have lost mine and don't know if I can get something to replace it.

I haven't really done much with electronics before so can anyone help me with a parts list?

I have looked and tried to work out what is what and come up with the following....

1 x resistor (red, red, orange, gold) 2, 2, x10³, ±5%(J)

1 x resistor (brown, black, yellow, gold) 1, 0, x10^4, ±5%(J)

1 x resistor (yellow, brown, red, gold) 4, 1, x10², ±5%(J)

1 x resistor (brown, black, red, gold) 1, 0, x10², ±5%(J)

1 x something that looks like a resistor, its red and has 4BF stamped on it???

2 x Voltage regulators?? with BC33 7 M004 stamped on it

1 x Capacitor with 47nF 16V stamped on it

1 x thing with copper wire wound around it (I think its to do with adjusting the speed of the fan?)

Honest opinions, is it worth even considering doing this?

Thanks

DamirGTI

... isn't it easier to have a go at the local scrappy for a replacement ? :( all 205 and 309 (possibly 405 as well) have the same type of the blower motor unit , so it shouldn't be hard to source second hand one :D

Damir B)

MerlinGTI

GSF do um dude, was about £20 IIRC.

Mine (old knackered one) had a lolly stick cable tied to the internals! :(

SurGie

Will the 205 GT 86 be the same as the rest, also what other problems can cause the blower not to work?

DamirGTI

As far as im aware all 205/309 cars share same blower control unit no matter if they're Ph1 or Ph2 , base models or top models ..

Besides the main control unit i've found common breakdown behind the heater knobs/regulators , i.e. on the sliding potentiometer plate (when they fail people usually re-solder all the contacts on the potentiometer to make it work , but then they end up with the bower working on maxi speed only !) , other than that might be just a wiring problem , or a dead motor .. it's rather simple system and easy to test out in order to pin point the problem ..

Damir :lol:

Edited by DamirGTI

jason7579

Thanks everyone.

Didn't realise it was only about £20 for a new one I'll give em a call tomorrow, I'd rather fix mine or make a new one than get one from a scrappy as I imagine any that come out of another old pug will be heading the same way.

kyepan

i soldered the spring loaded clip to the button object thing to the base, and i've never had any problems... although would advise against this as i don't know how this has fixed it, other than creating a good connection.

i soldered the spring loaded clip to the button object thing to the base, and i've never had any problems... although would advise against this as i don't know how this has fixed it, other than creating a good connection.

jason7579

My whole unit is pretty much knackered I did try holding the clip down but with no joy. Thanks anyway.

jason7579

UPDATE:

Big thanks to djinuk for my very good condition heater reseistor (I highly recommend him as a trader - received my package well wrapped up and extremely quickly, also great communication).

I put the new resistor in yesterday turned the heaters to max and.... nothing but a click coming from the glovebox area :lol: I never had a click before so I now assumed that this resistor was fine and my old one was definitely knackered.

Next job was testing for power at the fan, plenty of volts there - so out come the screwdrivers (and mole grips, don't you love the screws in your 205's!). Took the fan out and 20 years worth of muck fell out with it - nice! Tried moving the fan by hand and it was fairly solid but could turn it. Put the power back to it and every so often it would catch and move a fraction of an inch, so I was fairly sure that it was new fan time.

My motto is - If its broke take it apart and try to fix it - you can't make it worse if it doesn't work already :rolleyes: (although that motto hasn't always worked in my favour). Armed with 2 cans of WD40, a variety of screwdrivers, lots of newspaper on the living room floor, an old rag, a toothbrush and my trusty hammer I got to work.

Getting the unit apart was pretty easy, just 2 screws at the bottom (very rusty but luckily they came out - now replaced with 2 new shiny ones) then a bit of brute force to seperate the fan from the casing - watch out for the 2 power wires. Gave everything a good squirt with WD40 and went around it all brushing off the dirt and crap with the toothbrush and rag.

Put 12v back into the fan and with a bit of help it started moving quite slowly. Then the WD40 worked itself in and it got faster and faster until it was whizzing around - this then resulted in my best work shirt getting covered in dots of WD40 - but at least the fan was working.

Took it all back upstairs and after quite a few attempts I managed to align the 2 screw holes for the fan with the 2 holes in the casing, screwed it all back together, shoved it back in the car and I now have a fully working fan (and a car that smells of WD40).

So if your fan appears knackered don't give in and replace it - its always worth taking it apart and seeing if you can fix it - only took about 15 minutes (writing this post took longer!) and the fan now works as new.

If you do decide to take it apart you do not need to take off the little metal disc that clips on top of the fan - it doesn't stop the fan coming apart and its a bit of a nightmare putting it back on in the right place (but at least I got to use my hammer).

jackherer
the fan now works as new.

Have you driven it yet? You may find it squeaks when cornering....

djinuk

glad you sorted it man.. thanks for the kind words , i do try , although its hard with work etc in the way of the post office :P

I managed to bag me a mint heater fan,,.. dosent even squeak , took me 3 attempts to get a good one though lol

jason7579
Have you driven it yet? You may find it squeaks when cornering....

Seemed to be alright this morning on the way to work but its a pretty straight journey - will have to see how it goes but I can live with a squeaky fan as long as it works :P

dj - you're welcome mate, plenty of bad trader posts and threads on here so I thought it would be nice to mention a good trader for once :P

SurGie

How much are the heater fans brand new ?

After your post im going to try it my self on my GT 1.4 86.

jason7579

The heater worked really well for about a week and now its squeaking almost constantly when on. At least its still blowing though and its still hot.

Does anyone know if its possible to take the unit apart and get to the bearings? I have a mate who works for a bearings company so if I gave him the size etc. of bearings that I need he might be able to get me some new ones.