• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonnyturbo

2.0 8v Turbo Piston Rings.

jonnyturbo

had my mot done and the emissions were extremely high but i hope its just the turbo causing this as its smoking really bad, is there anything else it could be? piston rings etc? if so can these be changed on there own or should i get a set of pistons too? thanks.

paulvancraen

What kind of smoke does it produce? White, blue or black?

You can't just replace the piston rings, you gotta hone the liners aswell. So you gotta take it apart completely...

You don't need a new set of pistons.

jonnyturbo

light black colour. stinks to hell of burning oil, im getting my turbo rebuilt soon though and was going to overhall some things before i put the engine back in to save wasting time etc.

paulvancraen

black = fuel

blue = oil

white = water

So I don't think it's the turbo, it should smell like gasoline...

Which would make sense because your emissions were too high.

You have to check your ignition and fuel, that's where it's off, not the turbo.

Ant

Try a compression test - You can pick a tester up for about a tenner..better than pulling it apart to find its not that..

pablo

aye mate I done a compression test on mine, eased my mind as rings was worst case for me.

I got 170-180psi on all cylinders. Do it with the engine warm, coilpack unplugged and the throttle open fully (brick on pedal works well). I didnt open the throttle and done it cold and got 140psi ish, which was worrying.

jonnyturbo

il try when cold and when warm

pablo

out of interest mate what upper engine mount arm are you using? Im getting some knocking on a hard left hander and I think its the engine possibly due to the top mount.

jonnyturbo

think im using xsi mounts but i have a pug 306.

jonnyturbo

what alternator and bracket are you using? my engines comming out soon as im reshelling so going to change waterpump and all pulleys etc as i have got a squeel comming from the fan belt but iv changed that and its still there slightly

Edited by jonnyturbo

pablo

could be the alternator bearing?

or belt too tight?

jonnyturbo

i bout a new belt and fitted it slackish tight and tightest and still squeeling, tried a different belt and did same, put the old one back on and tightened it and now its quieter so im going for alternator but il change that once i reshell

Sign in to follow this