• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Maccer

Can You Put A Phase 1 Door On A 1.5 Car?

Maccer

When I got my car the drivers door was a write off, so I have had a 309 door on there temporarily, but this is not in great nick and is a slightly different shade of grey to the rest of the car. I found and bought a 205 one off Ebay cheap which is in really nice condition - but I've only just noticed its a P1 door! Doh!

I've not had the door cards off the 1.5 one yet to see just how different they are, but it looks to me from meory like the P1 either has a bigger bulge along the top edge of the door or the door card is set further in along the top edge. Anyone know if I can I fit this to my P1.5 (F Reg) car, (or make it fit!?) or do I just give up and look for a 1.5/2 door?

steve@cornwall

Everything fits OK except the door mirror - you may have to get inventive there.

Maccer

Ok, fantastic. All is not lost then!

I know I will have to swap the little lock-up-and-down-knob (what on earth are they called?) but I assume that's just a case of whipping the rods out of the lock mechanisms and swapping them over.

With the wing mirror are the mount holes in different places then? I don't mind getting in there with a drill and some filler, but if I fit an original phase 1 unit on instead, would you be able to tell from looking at the mirrors that they were different phases on each side?

steve@cornwall

You may need to make an adaptor plate to fit the mirror, and they are noticeably different.