• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pablo

Changing Valve Stem Oil Seals With Head Still On

pablo

Going to have a stab at this myself. Can anyone offer any pointers / advice / source for parts?

Have changed cams before but never worked around the valvetrain components. Im assuming the cam needs to come off (wil fit a new belt if it looks worn).

Been reading that I can do it on the car by using string in the spark plug hole method to bring each piston up to TDC in turn which will stop the valve falling into the cylinder.

Thanks all, fingers crossed this will sort my smokey pipe!

jonnyturbo

is it smoking bad on idle but keep above 1000 revs and it doesnt smoke? as mine is doing that but i have rebuilt the engine with new valve stem oil seals etc but didnt rebuild the turbo which is my next thing to do.

pablo

yes only really on idle, even flat out on a rolling road there was no smoke. Turbos been rebuilt so dont think its that.

Also some oil around the spark plug threads but none in the throttlebody or boost pipes.

Edited by PPP_Racing

Veero

PM me your email address. I've written a guide to changing valve stem seals with the head on. Yes the cam needs to come out, need to do cambelt at the same time. The piston won't stop the valve dropping you need to wedge some rope in there.

I will email it tonight.

pablo
PM me your email address. I've written a guide to changing valve stem seals with the head on. Yes the cam needs to come out, need to do cambelt at the same time. The piston won't stop the valve dropping you need to wedge some rope in there.

I will email it tonight.

awesome mate thanks! PM away!

jonnyturbo

i checked my throttlebody and boost pipe comming off it and found a little bit of oil there, what would this mean if anyone can tell me?

pablo

think a wee bit is normal enough, lots is bad

Pob
think a wee bit is normal enough, lots is bad

Are you sure the turbo isn't to blame? That would be the first thing i'd checked before doing the valve stem seals. I've known of seals going on a turbo within 10 miles of a rebuild (By Turbo technics)

Dan

pablo

any easy way to test?

the giveaway for me was the oily sparkplug leads, and lack of oil in the inlet pipes.

Pob
any easy way to test?

the giveaway for me was the oily sparkplug leads, and lack of oil in the inlet pipes.

Oily spark plug leads? or threads? Oil on the threads I would say is fine.... oil on the leads?, are the plugs tightened down properly?

Has it always smoked since you've had it? Did you get the turbo rebuilt? It could be leaking out on the exhaust side of the turbo not the compressor side. Easiest way to check is take it off and have a look... I suppose that's easier said than done when space is limited

Dan

Edited by Pob

pablo

Sorry Dan, threads.

Yeah not the handiest to pop the turbo off :(

Was like that when I got it, turbo was built before that. A few months ago

Pob
Sorry Dan, threads.

Yeah not the handiest to pop the turbo off :(

Was like that when I got it, turbo was built before that. A few months ago

I would check the turbo first. I'd imagine if you undo the downpipe, support the engine with a jack and remove the drivers side engine mount you can pull the whole engine forward which would give more room to get the turbo off

Dan

petert

Make an adaptor to screw into the spark plug hole and fill the chamber with compressed air.

jonnyturbo

ppp how much was your reciept for the turbo rebuild? iv been getting some quotes and these are what i got so far for hybrid turbo. t25 hybrid 360 thrust bearing + t28 housing.

cr turbos: after vat and postage around 500-550 but if housing cracked/broke then more.

aet turbos: 595 not sure with or without vat but no postage.

turbo technics: 495 standard rebuild, 625 without vat and postage for hybrid.

anywhere else i can try?

pablo

ill need to check but 500 ish from turbo technics

jonnyturbo

is yours hybrid or standard rebuild?

pablo

std unfortunately. id have paid the extra

jonnyturbo

anything been done to your engine other then rebuilt ?

pablo

all bog std afaik. gti6 headgasket is the only non standard part, plus a green cone filter.

made 155bhp on .3 bar so is pretty fit, and should be knocking on 200 at a bar. The difference on the road is amazing.

yorkshirekowboy

I will email it tonight.

pm'ed

pablo

well its done now, still to put the cambelt back on etc but seals are done and cam is back on. Not the handiest of jobs but saves the price of a new head gasket (£60 odds).

DrSarty
well its done now, still to put the cambelt back on etc but seals are done and cam is back on. Not the handiest of jobs but saves the price of a new head gasket (£60 odds).

Cheeky move. :)

pablo

spent enough so far ffs.

Sign in to follow this