• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Daviewonder

No Fuel Or Spark

Daviewonder

Hello all, Ive just wired up my 2.0 turbo engine (from a 406) and I came to start the engine but it doesnt! the engine turns over but I dont have fuel or a spark. the double relay clicks once when I turn the ignition on but thats all it does, is it supposed to click when im turning the engine over?

Ive got a constant live to the double relay on pins 15, 14, 11, 8 that Ive run from the little fuse block on the slam panel.

Ive got a switched live to the double relay on pin 3 from wire 2 on the 205

and Ive got the 205 white wire no 76 going to pin 9 on the double relay

Ive measured the voltage going to the fuelpump when I switch the ignition on and its 0.01v

any ideas guys as Im REALLY stuck :)

Edited by Daviewonder

pug_ham

Are you getting 12v to the coil pack plug pin but looking at my autodata the switched feed should be going to the double relay pin 2 not pin 3.

Graham.

Daviewonder

I believe you're right. Im looking at the wiring diagram and pin 2 is cc10 which should be switched. Ive been a bell end! :rolleyes:

Gonna go and try it now!

Cheers mate :)

Edited by Daviewonder

M@tt

if the 2nd relay isn't closing its because the ECU isn't pulling pin 10 to ground.

The ECU pulls it to ground once it detects a signal from the crank position sensor. If this isn't happening you may have a duff sensor or faulty wiring between the CPS and the ECU (ECU pins 4, 48, 49 check continuity between them and the 3 pins at the CPS).

Try earthing pin 10 to ground and see if you can hear the fuel pump run (that will rule out dodgy double relay)

Earthing pin10 directly as a test won't allow the car to run though as the ECU needs a valid signal from CPS so it can work out when to fire injectors/spark etc

HTH

Matt

Edited by M@tt

M@tt

sorry ECU pins should be 24, 48, 49

Daviewonder

ah ok. Ive checked the continuity between pins 48 and 49 and they're ok, I'll check pin 24 tomorrow :)

I earthed out pin 10 but it didnt do anything, any ideas?

Ta :wacko:

M@tt

did you earth wire/pin 10 whilst the relay was plugged in?

also i assume you had the ignition on when you tried this

Daviewonder
did you earth wire/pin 10 whilst the relay was plugged in?

also i assume you had the ignition on when you tried this

yes the relay was plugged in, and the ignition was turned on.

I earthed pin 10 of the ecu did you mean pin 10 of the relay?

M@tt

no pin 10 of the relay

Daviewonder

Oh sorry, all this is completely new to me so please excuse my stupidness :wacko:

I'll try doing it right tomorrow cheers mate.

M@tt

no worries mate, fingers crossed for you :wacko:

Daviewonder

Hello, thanks for the help matt, Happy Birthday by the way.

Ive checked continuity between ecu and crank sensor and they all seem ok, Ive now put pin 10 on the relay to earth and the the fuel pump ran but theres still no spark when cranking, does this point to a faulty crank sensor?

M@tt

yes that would indicate to me a possible faulty CPS

also have you got a perm 12v to the ECU? ECU pin 19

also is the ECU definitely unlocked?

Daviewonder
yes that would indicate to me a possible faulty CPS

also have you got a perm 12v to the ECU? ECU pin 19

also is the ECU definitely unlocked?

I'll have to check pin 19, Ive only got the blokes word that the engine came from that the ecu's unlocked, is there any way of knowing for sure?

M@tt

no real way of checking the ECU unforuntely unless you know the wiring is 100% spot on but obvioulsy can't check the wiring is spot on unless you have a working ECU, catch 22.

I think you'll find you will have perm live to ECU pin 19 as it takes it from the looms connection to the power distribution shunt box on th eslap/front panel iirc

If you check that and find its still not working then its either going to be locked ECU or CPS.

It'll then be a case of trying known working ones of each of those components.

did you buy it off someone on here from a running car/conversion?

Daviewonder
no real way of checking the ECU unforuntely unless you know the wiring is 100% spot on but obvioulsy can't check the wiring is spot on unless you have a working ECU, catch 22.

I think you'll find you will have perm live to ECU pin 19 as it takes it from the looms connection to the power distribution shunt box on th eslap/front panel iirc

If you check that and find its still not working then its either going to be locked ECU or CPS.

It'll then be a case of trying known working ones of each of those components.

did you buy it off someone on here from a running car/conversion?

Afaik the only permanent lives coming from the box on the slam panel for the engine bay are the ones for the starter and alternater and the ones ive run to pins 15, 14, 11 and 8 on the double relay.

I bought the complete engine from a guy that was breaking a 406 on ebay, I doubt it was anyone on here.

Edited by Daviewonder

M@tt

Dave

It's ECU pin 18 NOT 19, my mistake, the print was small on the diagram i was looking at.

so check you've got perm 12v to pin 18 of ECU ( i'm pretty sure you'll find you will)

if you have, try borrowing another CPS

then if that doesn't work try a known working ECU

tbh i'd put my money on locked ECU by the sounds of things, although i'll be very happy if i'm wrong :)

Daviewonder

Ok Matt, thanks a lot for all your help, I'll do a few checks tomorrow, should get there in the end.

cheers, Dave :)

Daviewonder

I think its now sorted, I didnt have a live going to pin 18 on the ecu so Ive now run one and ive now got a spark and fuel. Unfortunately it still wont run as I think the fuel ive used has gone off due to being over 3 years old :)

Thanks again M@TT for all your help

Dave.

Edited by Daviewonder