• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Wrighty_1988

Newbie 1.4 Xs Engine Conversion

Wrighty_1988

Hello, first off id like to introduce myself. My names Joe Wright and im from Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Right, on to the topic, At the moment my daily driver is a MGZS, and yesterday my dad bought me a 205 XS as a project car to mess about with doing what ever i like with it. What im going for is the sleeper look, im thinking an Mi16 on R1 carbs witth the interior stripped out and two buckets seats in.

The questions im wanting to ask is, if im going to be runing the engine on carbs does that still mean that there is going to be alot of faffing around with the wiring ?, the XS comes with a rev counter from standard so there isnt that to worry about. I also understand that im going to have to put a gti front subframe on the front and a rear subframe also, but is the rear subframe a must ?. Any information would be great. Thanks alot :blush:

sam jfm

Well for a start you wont need to do anything with the rear beam! and as for the engine wireing, i would think using gti looms would be the simple option? i might be wrong but having has to strip out the gti loom to fit an xs engine into a gti shell i found it much easyier to use the loom for the engine it was ment for!

burr_2000

I would personally get rid of your xs beam, when running a bigger faster engine you got to think of stopping power so i would go for a gti rear beam with rear discs and thicker arb. Front subframe is a must. as for fuel management i would point ya in the direction of bike bodies to be honest or even just stick with a TU engine can still be as much fun but with less hassle.

http://www.mi16conversion.co.uk/

Wrighty_1988

If i was to use bike throttle bodies i would have to get a standalone fuel management wouldnt i ?. Which is a few weeks of saving pennies ?, Anyone know of any kind of prroject thread wheere this has been done before on a XS, or anything similar. Thanks alot for the info guys, think i might also upgrade the rear beam also if it doesnt cost much to do.

Jrod

The beams are actually the same. The torsion bars and ARB are slightly bigger on the GTI which are an easy upgrade and shoud be nice and cheap. You can also swap to GTI drums or discs if you feel you need to but they should be fine as they are on the rear.

burr_2000

problem is projects always end up pricey. i would go down bike bodies probably pick them up for £100 and second hand stand alone about £500 manifold in excess of £250 plus set up maybe another £200. could be more with loom and sausage filter? allow at least £1k for budget set up. The conversion has been done and documented on here before, think a guy called casanova did one but he started with a gti. best ask in the XU part.

burr_2000

i would change whole beam if you source one locally, my rear has been rebuilt and is well greased so i can swap ARB for different conditions, they can be a nightmare when stripping for first time since new :) . its always a good thing to do if ya have got time on hands. All depends on budget again and as Jrod says you can just use the original rear beam i just assumed that you might be using it for track.

Wrighty_1988
problem is projects always end up pricey. i would go down bike bodies probably pick them up for £100 and second hand stand alone about £500 manifold in excess of £250 plus set up maybe another £200. could be more with loom and sausage filter? allow at least £1k for budget set up. The conversion has been done and documented on here before, think a guy called casanova did one but he started with a gti. best ask in the XU part.

That sounds like a good idea, just looked at the throtttle bodies on ebay and they can be had for 100 quid. The manifold you mention, is that to mount the bodies? or you refering to the exhaust one as ill need to get a custom one of them for the mi16?.

Think the beam will eventually be changed so the handling gets better, im thinking about tracking it, im just wanting to build a car that will surprise alot of people lol.

burr_2000

yeah its mounts the bodies to the inlet, try either colin satchel, sandy or bogg bros.

ilovemypug

you dont need to spend so much on the inlet manifold, you can do them yourself, with some flexitube some clamps and a few bits and bobs.

on poloclub.co.uk there is quite a bit of info on this.

i will soon be getting a 1.4 xs and thinking of putin some bike carbs on

i have the carbs and all the bits i need except for the manifold plate

plus if you use bike carbs it will be much more simple, you wont need an ecu as it will be all electric and not electronic iff you get my drift

Edited by ilovemypug

burr_2000
you dont need to spend so much on the inlet manifold, you can do them yourself, with some flexitube some clamps and a few bits and bobs.

Its a very important part and would not advise this but if you are desperate to get it running and dont mind not getting as much power.

Wrighty_1988

on poloclub.co.uk there is quite a bit of info on this.

i will soon be getting a 1.4 xs and thinking of putin some bike carbs on

i have the carbs and all the bits i need except for the manifold plate

plus if you use bike carbs it will be much more simple, you wont need an ecu as it will be all electric and not electronic iff you get my drift

This sounds like a much better idea, and sounds like something do-able. Im a factory electrician so i have plenty of things to aid me go making one of these manifolds. Its still early days really, not many mi16s are popping up Ive noticed. But when Ive got the cash ill be on the look out. Need to get me a full gti front subframe and that first. Which shouldnt be that bad, there is always people breaking cars.

richsmells

Look at gti6boy's thread. (gti6 (touring car spec) into a 205 rallye) It's a similar conversion since the XS and rallye both have TU mounts, whilst the Mi16 and Gti6 are XU series engines.

Edited by richsmells

Wrighty_1988
Look at gti6boy's thread. (gti6 (touring car spec) into a 205 rallye) It's a similar conversion since the XS and rallye both have TU mounts, whilst the Mi16 and Gti6 are XU series engines.

Ive tried searching for the thread you are talking about but cant seem to find it :S. Couldnt perhaps link to it for me please. Thanks alot.

ilovemypug

hey burr 2000, well i have seen many ways of doing the manifold part.. and i guess its a matter of having the "time" aka £ to do a manifold yourself or splash out on some custom made manifolds..

the other day i saw this chap that kept his oem manifold, cut it down and put some hoses, clamps and he´s a happy fella now and still has cash in his pocket.. =)

as long as the hoses are not too flexible( they don´t colapse everytime you accelerate) and the whole is air tight you should be ok.

sam jfm

Just a note, the gear linkage mount on the subframe is in a different place on the gti subframe compaired to the xs, so it will require moving as i have just found out :blush:

Guest johnsteele23

i'd leave the rear beam but use baker bushes and solid mount it, use his engine/gearbox mounts and strut top bushes too.

Front strutbrace

Bilstien shocks

Saxo vtr/vts 14inch alloy wheels with yokohama 21r tyres. (wider track with the saxo wheels and 21r's have lots of grip in wet and dry and dont go bigger because it will slow down acceleration and alter handling)

gti vented front brakes with mintex m1144 pads, goodridge hoses and a decent fluid.

manifold and exhaust.

saxo vtr 1.6 bottom end.

Use a good oil like millers cfs 10w/60 or similar that will cope with abuse.

fast road catcams camshaft 4901102 Fast Road Profile

205 diesel radiator

K+N filter with jet you get with filter.

Invest in a quaife atb diff if you can manage £600 for one. (power is no good if you cant get it onto the rd and power to weight, grip and gearing is the key).

You already have a good ratio xs gearbox

Rolling rd setup.

then have lots of fun

with this spec you would be using mostly standard PSA group parts and the engine would look standard, some parts 2nd hand off ebay, here, scrapyards. Parts that dont cost loads I would buy new like radiator, filter.

Join a local motorclub, go and talk to people and learn what a lot of the road rally people are doing to 205's

hope this helps.