• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Smooth Bumpers, Help With Paint Advice

djinuk

On my white 205 i am planning to take my black trim and bumper section (the bits that are textured) and i want to smooth these sections and then paint them with a anthracite paint (shiny).

My question is how am i best to attack the removal of the texture, would i be safe to attack it with some 320grade wet and dry initially and then give it all a heavy coat of high build primer, and then to flat this down with some 600grade wet and dry and guide coat until i have a flat untextured finish.

If anybody else has a better method please let me know and specify ideal grade.

Saveit

I just got mine painted. Good solid layer of primer and a few layers of paint. Smooth enough for me...

djinuk

hmm, need a bit more info really, was it only basic primer? was none of it flatted at all, need to get it right really.

johnnyboy666

i'm planning this in the future so would be interested to hear what people have done, i was just planning on giving it a rough up then high build primer till its smoother, sand down a little then few coats o' paint. however i'm intending for mine to look like the original bumper (green on roland garros) which wasnt shiny and had a little texture to it.

daveyboyblack

I'm another one considering doing this. IIRC the bumper plastic may be oil impregnated so you can end up with issues unless a fair amount of primer is used, or some other kind of sealant is used first. Unfortunately mechanical issues mean the cosmetic stuff is on hold for the moment.

I may just be talking rubbish though!

Liquid_106

Wet and dry won't work on the dimples so I wouldn't bother. Give it a good clean down with panel wipe to get rid of all the road grime and any residual silicon from back to black etc. Next key the surface with a scotchbrite pad (pan scourer) and then give it a quick coat of plastic primer and leave to dry. Then give it three good coats of high build primer and flat it off with 600 w&d with lots of water, if the dimples are still showing, add another coat of primer and rub down again. Finish off with 1000 w&d and then top coat it until the primer doesn't show through and you have nice coverage.

I'd like to claim that I'm a sh*t hot painter, but the above was 'borrowed' from an article about plastic trim repairs.

Good look and post some pics once you've done! :lol:

willmounsey

180 then 320 dry all over, good coat of high build primer and 500-600 dry (care is needed on edges, dont want to rub the primer off) and it worked fine for me

DSCF0970.jpg

Will

weejimmy

you have to rub it down or it will show through after a while.

180 -320- prime as said above.

if you just clean it its fine for a mounth or two then starts to look odd as the texture comes threw the paint again.

ive tryd the short cut and it dosent work.

Daviewonder

How do you go about filling the groove where the bumper strip lives if you wanted your bumpers totally smooth? would fiberglass be ok?

pugpete1108
How do you go about filling the groove where the bumper strip lives if you wanted your bumpers totally smooth? would fiberglass be ok?

pretty sure fibreglass will flex and cause cracks, i did this to mine a few year ago and it did.

djinuk

im going to wet flat mine down to 320 grit then over the next few weeks.

With regards to filling the bumper strip, the bumpers are fairly rigid and so long as your carefull i would imagine fibreglass with p38 skim would be ok. Failing that there is a product i believe called smc which is like filler with fibre elements within it. This may be an ideal soloution.