• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
philfingers

Painted My Alloys With Coach Enamel And Not Drying

philfingers

I started off the other day by DA'g my alloys. It took 1.5hrs to do two, so I got them sand blasted for £5 each, bargain.

I etch primed them, them primer filler and then used some Coach Enamel in Ford (ahem!) Diamond White as I had a tin lying around. Thing is 6 hours later it's not really started to dry yet. Just how long does it take to go off? Finish is ok, I thought as it's enamel it would dry pretty hard.

Have I screwed up?

Phil

MerlinGTI

Enamel takes ages to dry dude, my brake calipers took 2 days to dry enough so they didnt mark when I dug my fingernail in them. The thicker the coat the longer it will take also. When it does go off propley Enamel is very hard. Heat helps, whack them somewhere warm.

I wouldnt even think about having them on a tyre machine for at least a week.

Be patient Daniel son :blink:

philfingers

thats' ok, the tyres are off 6 and on two. I had the 6 blasted and then though sod it I'll mask the tyres off and do the other two quickly. look ok. Will be a good few weeks before i have tyres anyway.. .. .will put them out in the sun to dry!

I did these a few months back, by masking the tyres and painting with gold hammerite, gold's a funny shade but can't complain for £5's worth of paint spread over 4 wheels!

IMG_9086.jpg

Phil

M_R_205

Enamel takes ages to dry if its not heated up, so if its in a cool garage/workshop it will take a few days.

philfingers

checked this morning and the overspray on the axle stand I used to support them it still tacky, the wheel still look wet!

I guess I'll leave them a few weeks, just a swell i'm in no rush for them then. .. . .

MerlinGTI

Will they fit in you oven? (I'm serious! One at a time obviously) nice low heat like 50-60 c for an hour each should speed it up a tad, the ones with no tyres anyway

Edited by MerlinGTI

philfingers

checked them tonight and still not touch dry! The tech data sheet says touch dry in 2hrs, but 30 hrs later still tacky enough to get paint on my fingers. Oh well no rush, just aswell!

M_R_205

if you have a fan heater have that going near them??

philfingers

left them in the living room in the sun all day, touch dry now. happy enough with the finish. Living room smells nice too :-)