• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Lynden

Cylinder Head Gasket Gone - Considering The Options In North London...

Lynden

Hi there,

Very sadly the cylinder head gasket has gone on my 1988 1.9 GTI. First symptom was overheating and the top radiator hose bursting - I thought that this was the cause as it is a very old bit of rubber, but probably a symptom - I think maybe the water pump was to blame, but not really sure... The last gasp was pulling out onto J5 of the M1, clouds of steam from exhaust and under bonnet, where the top heater hose had now gone, but possibly steam coming out from between head and block around cylinders 3 and 4.

It still starts and fires on all 4, but it's not driving anywhere (still got a burst heater hose and therefore no coolant for starters....).

So I'm deciding whether to have a go at replacing the cylinder head gasket, and probably water pump as well, but I don't have a garage, and not a lot of spare time. Last time I changed a head gasket it was on a Mini and took about half a day, but from reading the 205 Haynes, this looks a bit more involved - how long you reckon would it take? As the car's been so reliable since I bought it 3 years ago, I haven't really worked on the engine apart from changing plugs / dist cap etc, so I guess I'd be a bit slow as I'd be learning along the way... I've had oil changes done by a garage when it goes for MOT.

Alternatively, as it is/was a great little car, does anyone know anyone in North London (I live near Archway) who would change head gasket / water pump / cambelt while we're at it for a reasonable price?

Thoughts appreciated...

jeremy

Ok the total cost of replacing the gasket and water pump I guess would be in the region of £150 including having the head skimmed. I have done this only a couple of times and would put my skil level as above DIY but certainly not near proffesional. I labbelled all items using masking tape or bank bags and would probably take me 1 1/2 to 2 days making sure not to rush anything.

James_R

I think it would be a touch more than £150 with the skim and bits, plus it would be worth having the stem seals replaced while it's off and re shimming the cam, with a skim and seal refresh I think you'd be looking more in the £300 bracket

It's not a *hard* job to do yourself just time consuming if you've not done it before, but yourself would be £10 gasket £10bolts £30-40skim then oil and coolant £30 so could be done yourself in the £100 bracket, just get the haynes out.

Lynden

Thanks for the thoughts... Anyone know if the heads are prone to warping?

dcc

If its been run without coolant for a long period of time then it will be warped. if the head bolts werenot all the same torque then there is also a good chance it will have warped.

Strip down the engine, label everything, sensors etc... It will take you a weekend to do, personally I would get the head checked for trueness before refitting, then judge on if it needs a skim. if you are on a budget then clean up the head well and take care with what you do. took me and a mate about 5 hours to change the head on a gti6, it took me 6 hours to take a head off a 1.9 8v for the 1st time. i'm no mechanic. Don't forget the larger washer above the water pump!