• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rupertfinch

Papa? Nicole?

Rupertfinch

After having a spin in a tatty one with a stupidly loud backbox I knew I fancied a Williams. Then the MOT twat failed the Cherry red and so it had to be done.

1995 Williams 2, 54k and a whole lot of renault history. Still needs some steering column welding...but dear Lord these things go round corners well!

And yes, the previous owner bought new speedlines rather than refurb them, silly money.

post-8711-1251733408_thumb.jpg

post-8711-1251733438_thumb.jpg

post-8711-1251733486_thumb.jpg

johnrobertgordon

i know the exact bit that needs welding. Its where the rubber bush gives up. Makes a workd of difference when welded.

Mine was only a 1.8 16v but it went really well and handled just as well if not better than a 205.

Still love the old willy. Great looking car imo.

John

Rupertfinch

Yeah. Stupidly simple part. I had considered having it welded in-situ, but my cousin who'd be doing the work wants it out of the car to consider shimming it first before welding.

I had to join that williamsclio forum for £7 to find out a little more about it. Not a bad wee forum, but there's nowt else that compares to 205drivers! I'll have to consider donating a bit more.

Would it be wrong to say it handles better than my pug? Or perhaps it's more diplomatic to say it handles differently. Still love the pug but the williams is making a very strong case for itself.

johnrobertgordon

I found mine was more planted than the 205, felt less twitchy. Power steering took some feel away but it had a nice feel to it.

Rupertfinch

Having owner PAS and non-PAS GTi's I have to say the power steering isn't too much of a problem. Quite noisey pumps though, but the forum seems to suggest that's normal, will still give it a drain and refill.

Mark

24seven

I'd have one in my collection if I could. I reckon I'll nd up with a collection of hot hatches and "cult classics" rather than 1/2 modern sensible cars when I'm older.

Goliath

I have had the Williams' little brother and hated every minute of owning it. It would be such a nice car if just it worked, but it never does! My 205 is the most reliable thing on the planet compared to the clio!

If you have paid a bit more for a decent one then it should be good and not let you down too much :wub:

Ryan_B

They are a cracking little car. You can put a gearbox mount from a 19 16v on them which makes for zero play in the box when shifting. Im also a piad member on williamsclio.co.uk as i have been toying with one of these for a while. I still like the look of the 205 better but these things are meant to handle as if on rails.

I return to Ireland in December from Australia, home is Limavady. If possible could we maybe meet in the newyear as i would like a run in one of these as ive only ever driven a 1.8 16v. Id also be interested to hear your ownership views over the next few months as my 1.8 16v gave me a lot of headaches.

Ryan

Rupertfinch

That sounds like a cunning plan! Gimme a shout closer to the time and I'll see what I can do.

Mark

Baz

Another fan here, loved my old Ph1. Will definitely have to have another one day!

Looks like an excellent buy!

Rupertfinch

Fancied an update.

Still really enjoying the Williams. Welding the column really has made a world of difference AND they've even got replaceable ball joints on the wishbones - which is handy. I've had absolutely NO reliability issues, apart from a dead battery in the keyfob preventing it from starting, since purchasing it in August and that's involved using it as a daily driver.

The gold alloys came off for the winter to avoid the salt and were replaced by mk1 16v turbines, which are also a nice wheel, but it never felt as 'special' with these on, so much so that when the originals were recommissioned I kept doing the 'glancing backin an admiring way' thing you do when you get a new motor. If that makes sense?

She's now just turned 59k and I've bought an E36 318i touring barge as a daily hack so it'll be going off the road to avoid the 60k total. It'll feel wrong not to drive it everyday, but I'm thinking about future value. There's a voice in the back of my head that reckons I can near enough get back what it cost me when I decide to sell. However, what were very good rear arches quickly blistered over the winter and so rather than a rub down and blow over I'm going to go down the replacement arch kit route over the summer. Hopefully this will restore it to it's full glory.

Now where did I leave my Cherry red 1.6?

dodsworth_gti

i like them alot but they dont b-road aswell as a 205 imo,on open smooth roads id say they are better,but they dont seem to cape with mid corner bumps aswell as a 205 can

Paul_13

Each to their own imo, my mate has the same car and has put a R26R engine from a Megane.

I'll try and get some pics, looks mental!

Bit of a squeeze with turbo!

hengti

i'd have been interested in one when i bought the 205, although they were well out of my price range at the time (some went for silly money)

really good looking car. the arches look sound on yours as well?

Baz

I love 'em, we need pics!

shalmaneser
Each to their own imo, my mate has the same car and has put a R26R engine from a Megane.

I'll try and get some pics, looks mental!

Bit of a squeeze with turbo!

Holy crap, pics please!

Always liked the clio, used to walk past one every day on the way to school, just down the road from a white 1.6 gti...if things had turned out the other way round who knows what could have happened...

They seem to rust a hell of a lot worse than the old 205, there's one in brighton I see occasionally that looks to be 90% rust, god knows how it's got an MOT.

What are the engines like, i guess they must be fairly torquey. Do they like to rev?

jord294
this has become available to buy, very local to me and am seriously tempted to buy :lol:

pug_ham

I'm on the fence about owning one of these, much as I love the look of the Williams, after spending a long weekend in a 1.4 Clio the driving position was just plain uncomfortable & iirc that was one of the main moans about the Clio in most fields.

I'd take a Williams anyday over a 1.8 16v clio though.

I briefly considered swapping my 1.6 GTI for a Clio 1.8 16v after a couple of years ownership but never took the plunge.

I'd have one in my collection if I could. I reckon I'll nd up with a collection of hot hatches and "cult classics" rather than 1/2 modern sensible cars when I'm older.

If I had the space I'm sure its one that would be in the collection, possibly along with an R19 16v. :lol:

Graham.

jord294

my surname is williams :):lol:

Richie

Whats the driving position like in the williams? remember driving this shape clio and thinking the driving position was a bit rubbish. I do have a soft spot for them.

edit: just saw Grahams post, so im not alone thinking the driving position is a bit naff at least on the basic models.

Edited by Richie

Whats the driving position like in the williams? remember driving this shape clio and thinking the driving position was a bit rubbish. I do have a soft spot for them.

edit: just saw Grahams post, so im not alone thinking the driving position is a bit naff at least on the basic models.

Yeah the driving position is rubbish. I remember swapping between my Williams and a friend's 205 and thinking how much better the 205 was in comparison. The Willy's seats themselves, however, are some of the best I've ever sat in. Just a shame they spoilt it with the rest of the driving position!

Rupertfinch

That's a good point regarding the Williams' driving position. I've never actually done mega miles in mine to properly assess this. Great seats for holding the drivers arse in place.

That 16v, would need williams wishbones (and driveshafts??) to start to mimic the Williams.

Thanks for resurrecting the thread, I've still got it, but dear Lord the rear arches need attentions and they were ticketyboo when I bought it 18 months ago.