• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stimpysaurus

Paintwork Defects

stimpysaurus

Hi,

Does anyone know what these marks are, what has caused them and how I should go about fixing them?

The car has been like that since I bought it last year and I think I should probably do something about it as it looks like its starting to rust underneath the paint.

They appeared about a week after I first started using it and I thought it had been damaged by kids, who I almost confronted suspecting they were hitting the bonnet after I'd just walked away from the car after bringing it home from work on the first day! :D

does it look like accident damage? the grooves above the rear windows are cracked aswell but I would've thought that damage would appear at the time of impact and not months later, unless its just shoddy reapir work?

heres some pictures - hopefully

Lianne

post-13154-1251580281_thumb.jpgpost-13154-1251580258_thumb.jpgpost-13154-1251580270_thumb.jpg

welshpug

looks like its had a hell of a lot of filler on that panel, you can see it where the holes for the arch trim is.

willmounsey

as WP said,

my guess is that there was moisture in the filler and wasn't dryed proparly before paint thus making it crack.

Will

mattmk1

The filler or indeed the paint can 'sink' and that appears to be what has happened here. It may have had a rear quarter panel at some stage as this is the area where you would join the panel, and the panel gap with the boot shut looks slightly too close.

But its hard to say without actually seeing the car in flesh, nip it down to a bodyshop for a chat :D

joe1joe

it does apear to have a fair bit of filler on that panel from the pictures..... filler often sinks, and cracks when alot is used as in ur case it has started to crack, and then moisture sets in....