• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Silky

B Pillar Repair - Does It Need Re-doing

Silky

After taking out the seats, carpet and sound proofing I wanted to check the state of the floor to see if all was ok before I went any further.

As you can see from the pics it is pretty solid, but the B pillar bottoms are causing me some concern.

Could people please take a look at the photo's, it appears to me that there has been a repair to them at some stage. Is this sufficient or does it need re-doing ? I have no experience at all so have no idea.

Also, you can see a rust part on the floor, running along side the drivers inner sill, does this look ok, it seems pretty solid.

Other than those bits it doesn't appear to have any other problems with the floor, all straight and solid. Heater matrix also came out as it was previously leaking, to be replaced.

Any comments positive or negative welcomed, anyone able to come and take a look would be greatly appreciated.

290809007.jpg

290809008.jpg

290809009.jpg

290809010.jpg

290809011.jpg

290809012.jpg

290809013.jpg

willmounsey

Do you know if the cars ever been in an accident?

Will

Silky

No idea Will

Boot floor is straight, front is straight, panel gaps are all good

willmounsey

im just looking at your b pillers and i cant make out weather someone has tried to repair rust or even panel replacement.

the sills in the last 3 pic's i'd take a drill and wire brush to remove the rust and see what its like underneath, could only be suface rust but then might not,

also check the sills underneath my first 205 the sills had rusted inside out and it wasn't till i had removed the paint that i noticed.

same with the first pic the bottom of the b piller, clean away any rust and see what its like, its hard to tell untill rust is removed.

Will

Grez4

something not right there mate, is has seen a bang at some point.

I would get Alex round with his welder and plate up some of them joints to add a bit of strength.

Grahame

davepug205

The floor also looks bent under the pedals? and the crease near the inner cill, side impact maybe but if the welds are strong it will be ok.

I would catch that rust before it gets worse.

Silky

The bent looking floor under the pedals is the sunlight coming through and the wires creating a shadow on the floor.

The inner sill by the rust spot does certainly look a bit raised, but from the outside it looks fine, will have to jack it up and look from underneath.

I'll try get Alex round to have a look at it as I don't want to start putting it all back together if it needs repairing or if it's no good at all and needs getting rid of

floodys

i wouldnt know if it had been in a bang, james probably might know but not sure, i would have said it needs cleaning up and re-welding.

Silky

I've had this checked out this afternoon. Have been told that all welds are solid and decent welds, no structural damage and nothing to worry about with the repair.

As for the inner sill, it's strong and not a problem, has been caused by a jack from underneath which has bent a small part of the inside, the paint has cracked and then the small area rusted. Am going to rub this down and apply some hammerite or similar to stop any further problems

boombang

Will speak to you about it in the week, but would recommend a proper rust treatment rather than covering over with Hammerite.

Bilt Hamber do some amazing products - http://www.bilthamber.com/hydrate80buy.php

That'll do the job nicely.

joe1joe

most 205 floors are bent here.... from when people jack the car up, the repairs safe or not looks as tho someone hasnt realy put much effort into the repair..... safe or not dependant on what the car is goin to be used for i would re-do what has already been carried out????

Silky

The car is going to be used sparingly, kept in the garage, won't go on track or used daily

DamirGTI

Welds from the inside of the B-pillar are looking good to me :) they certainly wont do no harm but good in strengthening the B-pillar area up a bit , but i would finish this area :

290809007.jpg

... i.e. weld the B-pillar lower base to the sill , completely all over the joint ..

Further on (if you wish) re-weld a gap between the B-pillar and the sill (the lower outer area which is usually sealed with seam sealer ..) either completely or can stretch from 5 up to 10 mm of welds from the corner till the back .. that'll do nicely .. but you'll need to bring the shape back with the filler after the welding job , and respray the surfaces of course :unsure:

Damir B)

EDIT : oh , and fix that rusty spots on the floor before rust gets a chance to spread !

Edited by DamirGTI

16v205

The welded bits appear to be functional over form, give them a coat of good zinc paint and they should be ok.

I might be tempted to drill what appears to be a pop rivet out the bottom of the B pillar and just plug weld the hole afterwards

Rich

Edited by 16v205