• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davey205

Fuel Filter How Often Replacement?

davey205

how often should they be changed and whats involved please, about to replace a few old parts .

Ryan

4 years or 48k miles according the the haynes manual.

Dead easy job, just undo the bolts holding the hoses top and bottom and swap the filter, then do everything back up.

davey205

PEUGEOT 205 1.6i 5/86 - 5/96 MAH-P-KL93

is this what i want ?

91 phase 2 1.6

EdCherry

For the sake of a couple of quid why not replace it every time you service the car?

pug_ham
PEUGEOT 205 1.6i 5/86 - 5/96 MAH-P-KL93

is this what i want ?

91 phase 2 1.6

Where did you get that code from?

The pug part number you need is;

• 1567.11 > fuel filter.
  • 1562.44 > fuel pipe seal x 2 (copper washer for each side of the upper union).
  • 1562.56 > fuel pipe seal x 2 (copper washer for each side of the lower union).

From GSF;

• T12104 > fuel filter > 205GTI> £12.60

A good quality kit should come with the washers included but they often don't.

They have to be replaced, you don't want the unions leaking fuel & spraying onto the exhaust manifold.

For the sake of a couple of quid why not replace it every time you service the car?

Somewhat excessive to change it so often. Even at ~£15 each changing it every few years is enough even in a frequently used car imo.

Graham.

EdCherry
Somewhat excessive to change it so often. Even at ~£15 each changing it every few years is enough even in a frequently used car imo.

Graham.

You might call it excessive, I call it preventative.

pug_ham
You might call it excessive, I call it preventative.

What is it preventing?

I've never known one to block in the 15 years I've had a 205 GTI & some of them on friends cars might never have been changed.

Graham.

EdCherry
What is it preventing?

I've never known one to block in the 15 years I've had a 205 GTI & some of them on friends cars might never have been changed.

Graham.

Doesn't mean it wont or hasn't happened to other people before. Like I said I WOULD replace it every service for the sake of some shiny gold coins, maybe you wouldn't.

pug_ham
Doesn't mean it wont or hasn't happened to other people before. Like I said I WOULD replace it every service for the sake of some shiny gold coins, maybe you wouldn't.

Have you ever heard of one blocking up?

I wouldn't replace it every service but then I service my car at least twice a year & sometimes under 2k miles has been covered between them.

Also the rubber hose to the lower banjo might not take kindly to being moved due to the age of the hose & doing it so frequently might fracture it.

Graham.

welshpug

I agree with Graham, seeing as he's had a 205 for nearly as long as you've been alive Ed :wub:

if they had steel fuel tanks that were prone to corrosion I'd be more inclined to change them, but seeing as they are plastic and the quality of fuel in this country is pretty high and free from contaminants generally I'd just stick to the manufacturers recommendation.

EdCherry

Do what you want, but you dont change a oil filter cause your bottom end is knocking, you change it before to PREVENT problems, the same with fuel filters imo. If you were to leave the oil filter in when you changed the oil, yes its still doing its job but not as effectively as a new and clean one would.

Your changing parts to get the most out of the engine and sustain is longetivity, by changing the fuel filter you are doing both.

This is the way I see things, and the way I service my cars. If you do yours differently fine, the world would be a boring place if everything was the same.

jason7579

Just slightly o/t but when I replaced my fuel filter using the 4 washers it started leaking fuel all over the place, I had to put the old filter back on. Any idea why this would happen? Did I just not tighten the bolts enough?

pug_ham

An oil filter has a far shorter service life than a fuel filter & you replace it when you replace the oil but to use the same service life on a fuel filter would mean you are changing it weekly / each time you fill your car with fuel.

You don't change an oil filter to prevent a problem, you change it because its done the length of service expected & even then this doesn't prevent anything going wrong with the engine.

Just slightly o/t but when I replaced my fuel filter using the 4 washers it started leaking fuel all over the place, I had to put the old filter back on. Any idea why this would happen? Did I just not tighten the bolts enough?

Those four washers are single use crush washers & should be replaced each time, I suspect you were lucky when they didn't continue to leak oafter you swapped back to your old filter.

The banjo unions shouldn't be tightened to much because they will snap if you try to seriously over tighten them.

Graham.

jason7579
Those four washers are single use crush washers & should be replaced each time, I suspect you were lucky when they didn't continue to leak oafter you swapped back to your old filter.

The banjo unions shouldn't be tightened to much because they will snap if you try to seriously over tighten them.

Graham.

Thanks, I had new washers with the new filter but it still leaked, I'll get some more and give it another go...

Rupertfinch

Jason7579

Banjo bolts really are a pig. I decided to change the filter on my Miami before I sold it and had spray everywhere! What brand of filter are you using?

I'm normally a big fan of Motaquip parts, but I must say that their fuel filter didn't impress. I swapped it for a Fram item and it was great, it had small recesses in the top and bottom of the cannister to allow the crush washer to better seat itself.

jason7579
Jason7579

Banjo bolts really are a pig. I decided to change the filter on my Miami before I sold it and had spray everywhere! What brand of filter are you using?

I'm normally a big fan of Motaquip parts, but I must say that their fuel filter didn't impress. I swapped it for a Fram item and it was great, it had small recesses in the top and bottom of the cannister to allow the crush washer to better seat itself.

I'm not sure what brand it is, I'll double check tonight at home.

How hard is it to change to a completely different type of filter? What filter is recommended?

Thanks

davey205
I'm not sure what brand it is, I'll double check tonight at home.

How hard is it to change to a completely different type of filter? What filter is recommended?

Thanks

got a fram one with washers

Sign in to follow this