• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davey205

Changing Gearbox Oil

davey205

how do i change the gearbox oil? Is it separate on 205's or all part of the main system?

chris-stdt

how do i change the gearbox oil? Is it separate on 205's or all part of the main system?

[/quot

It is seperate oil for the gearbox ,to change it you have to remove the plug at the bottom of the diff which from memory is a 21 or 22 mm (i think) and its a bit of a pig as its so close to the subframe ,then remove the plug on the flat side of the gearbox nearest the wheel ,once oil has drained replace the bottom bung and fill until oil comes out of the top hole ,repalce bung ,the gearbox will take no more than two litres

Job done

Edited by chris-stdt

Paul_13

The nut on the bottom of the diff is 21mm (i've seen 22mm tho)

and

nut on the side of the gearbox is 19mm, its at the bottom right of the end of the gearbox.

Take the passenger wheel off and you shall see it.

I always jack the passenger side up quite high when I'm filling it back up, I find it doesn't come back out at you.

jengis
I always jack the passenger side up quite high when I'm filling it back up, I find it doesn't come back out at you.

...and then you lower it again to level the car to make sure its not over-filled - any excess flows out until its just a drip.

James_R

As above, jack up, (after you've been for a drive warm oil always wants to come up quicker) drain, put back on the floor

Turn the steering full lock left, then remove the 19mm, then fill (with a tub under to catch any over fill) till you get some come back out, allow to drain to the level, as the car needs to be on the floor to fill it, as that's the oil level hole :D

Oh and hold yoru nose if hung over :)

welshpug

I always fill them from the top, remove the breather is its a BE3, or the reverse Detent cable if its a BE1 or 6 speed BE3/4.

drain plugs sometimes have 8mm square hole as well as the spanner flats.

Tom Fenton

I also fill from the top, far easier IMO.

philfingers

jack the car up and remove the drain plug, you can use an adjustable. Refit with some PTFE tape around the thread, helps prevent leaks.

I use a funnel with a long hose on it and put two litres exactly (usually have two 1 ltr squash bottles handy) in through the reverse light switch. The hose is quite small so it doesn't run through too quick, the result with a bigger hose could be it overflows down the front of the box,

Phil

ps I use Comma SX 75/90, which is a semi synthetic oil, comes in 5ltrs for about £25

Sign in to follow this