• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smokey

New Bolts And Screws

smokey

Hiya guys

I've just recieved a big box of bolts and screws, plus fittings for bumpers, trims etc. Over £200 ouch!!

I was wondering before i fix everything to the car, is there anything i should do to protect the screws etc. Before they all corrode and rust together like the original ones?

I know this will probably take a while but thought i would ask anyway.

Thanks

welshpug

tons of copper grease and substitute as many with Stainless where possible.

jimistdt

I use Alu anti-seize, or you could do what magic has done (see his thread) and get them all coated. (£££££'s)

davev

may sound a bit cowboy but id put either a dollop of grease or underseal on them(after ive tightened them up) :)

cRaig

Im going to see about getting all the bumper bolts and brackets zinc plated, as I replaced them all with new geniune pug ones a year ago and noticed they had all started rusting quite badly. Worth the outlay I think, as it should make getting the bumpers off easier, and hopefully last a bit longer.

welshpug

they are all plated when you buy them new, and I would imagine it'd be a bit tricky to re-plate the bumper bolts as they have plastic moulded onto them.

cRaig

mm, its the end bolts and brackets that had all gone rusty rather quickly on mine, not sure abou the middle ones with the plastic on them, as I havent recovered many lol. The rear bumper brackets had suffered badly as well.

SurGie

I got 30 shouldered studs for the TB end bolt retainer's zinc coated for £20 cash in hand, so for the whole lot

i should think you could get them sorted out with zinc for around the £100 mark, depends how much you need doing.

Then if you have them all sorted this way, surround the thread with a little bit of copper grease.

Cameron

Just replace them before they corrode together if you're that worried about it.

Redtop
I got 30 shouldered studs for the TB end bolt retainer's zinc coated for £20 cash in hand, so for the whole lot

i should think you could get them sorted out with zinc for around the £100 mark, depends how much you need doing.

Then if you have them all sorted this way, surround the thread with a little bit of copper grease.

Yep thats what we do. I think the whole set of bolts for the last car I did was £30 cash. That was all the brackets etc and with the choice of yellow/gold or silver. You can't do parts with rubber or the likes of the bumper bolts with the plastic end on them though, but all other stuff you can. They will corode eventually, not alot you can do unless you can keep the car salt free underneath and dry. I'd try to avoid the copper grease if possible as it's messy and if you have to take anything off again that has been done with it, the stuff gets everywhere!

jord294

i got all this done for £20

post-11467-1250969056_thumb.jpg

i was that impressed with the quality, i'm taking loads of other stuff to be done. mainly the nuts, bolts, washers and studs that are used in the engine bay

Edited by jord294

mhyphenl
i got all this done for £20

post-11467-1250969056_thumb.jpg

i was that impressed with the quality, i'm taking loads of other stuff to be done. mainly the nuts, bolts, washers and studs that are used in the engine bay

They look great, were they all new parts before they were done or are they just cleaned up old parts??

Last Legend

I had all the metal fittings Zinc plated on my old Concours car (the one in my sig) and within about 2 Years,guess what?they were all going rusty!You need to stop the oxgen getting to the metal to allow the rusting to begin,by all means have them plated but laquer them once fitted.its only going to take a few seconds with a spray can.

jord294
They look great, were they all new parts before they were done or are they just cleaned up old parts??

old parts which i cleaned up a bit.

i've just taken a box full of newer bits to be done, so hopefully they'll be back by the end of the week :)

EdCherry

Jord how did you clean them up, bit of wire wheel action?

jord294
Jord how did you clean them up, bit of wire wheel action?

basically yeah.

i also have a die grinder with roloc attachments which i use

ALEX

Don't be going to Peugeot for clips, screws and fixings!

There's loads of places that will sell you what you want off the shelf for a 1/4 of the price.

I'm replacing most of my rebould with Stainless steel fixings.

IMO anything smaller than M8 should be stainless anyway.

Remember to use a plastic washer though if your fixing down anything that is galvanised, zinc or nickle coated!

Edited by ALEX

jord294

here is a pic of everything else i've had done. this time it only cost me £10

plenty of double ended studs for rear beam in stock now, along with the offset washers :)

post-11467-1251288157_thumb.jpg

i'm really impressed with the finish of the exhaust and intake manifold studs :P

all i've got to do now is wait for another company to do the chroming of some other parts ;)