• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Daviewonder

2.0 Timing Belt Problem

Daviewonder

Hello all, just come to fitting a timing belt to my 2.0 turbo engine which afaik came from a 1997 406 but when i put the belt on the teeth seemed spaced slightly wrong. Does anyone know if theres more than 1 belt listed for the turbo engine or what the gates part number should be? I dont have my original belt to compare th new one to :D

Daviewonder

Hi, Ive now bought a genuine timing belt kit and followed the guide in 'service box' pegging the pulleys etc but I still have a problem as after the belts been fitted and tensioned correctly and the cranks been rotated twice the holes for the rods dont quite line up anymore. This is due to there being quite a bit of slack in the belt between the crank pulley and cam pulley when the pulleys are pegged so when i remove the cam peg and take up the slack between them using the tensioner it causes the cam to rotate so the peg wont fit any more. Does this mean theres too much slack in the taught side of the belt to begin with as theres quite a lot but not enough to be a tooth out.

please help :)

Daviewonder

Has this question genuinely stumped you guys or am i missing something so simple that my question has been deemed as a waste of time? :)

jimistdt

WP is normally pretty good at these sort of queries.

Do you know the part number for the belt that you have got at the moment?

I vaguely recollect that there are a couple of teeth difference on some of the belts, but further than that I can't help you mate.

I'll have a search and see if I can turn something up for you.

Daviewonder
I found someone with the opppsite of your problem and his belt had 114 teeth, how many is on yours?

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...l=turbo*++timi*

Mine has 114 teeth. Ive just been wondering if its possible for the outer section of the aux drive pulley to slip round as from what i can gather its only fixed to the inner section by rubber? also when the crank pulley is locked using the timing tool the little mark on the crank pulley is at about 4 o clock does anyone know if this is right?

Daviewonder

Does anyone know if this looks like the gap for the woodruff key is in the right place in relation to the 2 holes?

IMG_0513.jpg

welshpug

should be at 75 degrees IIRC, looks like a gti6 pulley, unsure if the 8 valve iron block used the same bottom pulley, I think Miles may know about it, he certainly pointed me in the right direction re mixing Mi16 and gti6 bits.

Daviewonder

Do you know if its possible for the outer section of the pulley to slip round the inner section due to the rubber coming unstuck maybe?

S@m
Do you know if its possible for the outer section of the pulley to slip round the inner section due to the rubber coming unstuck maybe?

It seems to be a common problem for the outer rubber section of the pulley to slip relative to the inner piece. Mine was well out, so i used an old 205 8v pulley to time the engine as these are a single piece of metal. It happens on both Gti-6 and 8v Turbo engines, well, thats the two i have seen it on anyways. I think someone on here sells single piece pulleys for the xu10 though.

Daviewonder

AH thanks mate, I feel im getting somewhere now, thats something for me to try tomorrow night.

Thanks for all the replys guys :wacko:

Sign in to follow this