• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Timing Light Dosn't Work On Wasted Spark?

pugpete1108

i brought this a while ago to check timing on my 6 engine but have never been able to get it to work:

ebay

i have since been told that these lights dont work with wasted spark ignition, is this true? if so what the hell kind of light do i need?

pete

welshpug

gti6 isn't wasted spark.

bit pointless anyway as there aren't any timing marks to look at, not any adjustments possible mechanically, just a remap.

there's no plug leads to use the inductive pickup on either.

Stu

As Mei says, no use on the '6 with the coil on plugs (im assuming you still are using these)..

Or are you on aftermarket management and want to check the timing?

My timing light is a proper relic, i think Jesus owned it at one point, and it works just fine with my wasted spark setup, it misses the odd double flash, but thats of no consequence as it only needs the number one pulse.

pugpete1108

i'm not running cop anymore, i'm using a ford coil pack wasted spark and megasquirt managment (if its fixable :blush: )

i have marked the fly and casing with tdc and need to check the actual timing as i cant get the bloody thing to fire up.

the light works fine on my audi (cop) but not on the pug.

petert

My timing light works fine on XU10J4R coils. With a bit of care, you can disconnect the #4 plug socket and fit a normal plug lead in its place, to which you can hook on a timing light pickup.

RossD

If you are not getting a pulse to the timing light and the car wont start, it kinda suggests you aren't getting a spark at all. Check wiring and ECU settings.

Edited by RossD

pugpete1108
If you are not getting a pulse to the timing light and the car wont start, it kinda suggests you aren't getting a spark at all. Check wiring and ECU settings.

the trouble is i was getting a spark but still not getting a strobe??

its a little irrelevant at the mo as my ecu is fried, i was just thinking ahead