• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
nick9one1

Gti6 Goes Pop! 2

gti-si

Yeah thinking about it, if there was a fault with the alternator, the exciter wire might have a constant 12v from the battery feed and could be draining the battery?

Is it warm if left wihtout the engine running?

DrSarty
Yeah thinking about it, if there was a fault with the alternator, the exciter wire might have a constant 12v from the battery feed and could be draining the battery?

Is it warm if left wihtout the engine running?

I agree.

Go exchange the alternator please Nick as it never does any harm to have a new one. Just let me know what you need if anything to make this happen.

nick9one1

Definately the alternator. the main terminal is drawing/grounding 5A. I think either the voltage regulator is damaged or one of the diodes has fused and causing the alternator to constantly earth.

DrSarty

Glad you found the cause Nick, but what I want to know now is do any other car makes suffer this type of bullsh1t?

What I mean is, it was a perfectly working alternator. The engine had a mechanical issue so you took things apart, i.e. alternator off and sat on floor or shelf or in box. You know: nothing drastic.

Everything then gets put back together, and surprise surprise all of a sudden the alternator goes spastic and dies! WTF?

If you were to admit you dropped the alternator Nick then I'd understand; I wouldn't even have a problem with it as we're all human (except SurGie - who's a dimensional visitor).

But do other cars/makes suffer these bizarre issues?

large

I have had a couple of alternators that I have taken off put to one side (clean and dry) when I have gone to fit them they are u/s (all for 205 or 306).

You could just replace the diode pack they are normaly only £10ish.

SurGie
If you were to admit you dropped the alternator Nick then I'd understand; I wouldn't even have a problem with it as we're all human (except SurGie - who's a dimensional visitor).

Cheers for that one DrSarty :)

DrSarty
Cheers for that one DrSarty :P

Mate. It's no big deal.

You truly crack me up. I think you're a gem. Just eeeeeezy on the weed fella! :)

SurGie

Fair enough :)

maxi

Coil pack goes pop. Alternator goes pop. Engine went pop. Its a rainy day for Sarty rentals.

Could there maybe have been a slip up when putting it back together? Something arch out?

Im not pointing fingers but, I really hope this car isnt going to go from one disaster to another.

Maxi

DrSarty

Maxi, you crack me up too. You shall hence forth be known as 'slice of reality'. :)

Tesstuff
Coil pack goes pop. Alternator goes pop. Engine went pop. Its a rainy day for Sarty rentals.

Could there maybe have been a slip up when putting it back together? Something arch out?

Im not pointing fingers but, I really hope this car isnt going to go from one disaster to another.

Maxi

Call me sceptical, but somehow i doubt you do hope that Maxi.

Do your issues with Rich really run THAT deep fella?

jimistdt

Tesstuff - You're sceptical - there I said it.

:)

Tesstuff

LOL , i hope i am in this case mate :)

DrSarty

It'll be fine.

Stop whining you big bunch of girls!

SurGie

There's DrSarty with his big broom again lol

This is not intended to offened any member, its just a laugh mate...

Edited by SurGie

Tesstuff

Don't upset him SurGie , he is running your official fan club :)

DrSarty

This forum is so much a better place when people pull together and make things happen.

GLPoomobile
Don't upset him SurGie , he is running your official fan club :D

Actually, credit where it's due, it's me that is running his fan club :blink: He is king of putting his foot in it, has become an avid collector of warnings, and gets a really hard time by some other members. But I've always been a fan of the more bizarre sense of humour, and that is why SurGie cracks me up........usually after I've spent a few minutes scratching my head whilst wondering WTF he is on about, then given up and just lauhed anyway :)

Now, back on topic.....

marksorrento205
Actually, credit where it's due, it's me that is running his fan club :D He is king of putting his foot in it, has become an avid collector of warnings, and gets a really hard time by some other members. But I've always been a fan of the more bizarre sense of humour, and that is why SurGie cracks me up........usually after I've spent a few minutes scratching my head whilst wondering WTF he is on about, then given up and just lauhed anyway :)

Now, back on topic.....

:blink:

gti-si

This is not intended to offened any member, its just a laugh mate...

Don't step on eggshells, you'll loose your niche fanclub that SOMEHOW, you have attained. :blink:

I'm proud to say I'm a happy member of the SurGie Say's Stupuid Shit fanclub :)

nick9one1

to be honest im not too sure what happened to it. The alternator never came off the engine, as its bolted to the block which stayed in situ. Just as the power steering pump stayed on there. It is possible it got rained on a little, but I dont think that would cause it to stop working properly.

Saying that it should only cost a couple of quid to fix, as diodes and voltage regulators are 10 a penny! Im more ofae with electronics so im confident I can get it working.

I shal try the old coil pack again tomorrow, it could just be a case of corroded terminals/not plugged in correctly. I really only swapped it over with a known worker for testing purposes.

philfingers

these things come to try us. Take an old shi££er of a car, run the ragged a&^e of it, filter the 30k never changed oil through an old sock with a hole in it and it'll run for ever. Take my YB last few weeks, £17k bike with std jap motor, 2k dry miles from new. Missfire from tickover to 2500, yet on the choke and above 2500 run fine. All points to blocked carbs, due to sitting around and not being used. What was it? (after spending a week stripping the carbs down),a set of 4, £9 a set, NGK plugs. NGK plugs are the best plugs you can get, so why the issues?

i'm sure these things are just sent to try our thinking sometime :-)

Edited by philfingers

maxi

Slice of toast checking in here!

Testuff me old fruit, think you took my last post in the wrong way! Im not attacking Rich at all fella, hes a good mate of mine and I regularly rip the piss out of him on the blower to Afghan. The post was in no way meant to be hostile, unlike the taliban, which like a broken Alternator, is a wanker of a thing!

Maxi

mechanicalrepairs

Just spotted this thread, glad it all came together and all is well now, seems strange that a coil pack and an alternator decided to die at the same time.

Hopefully you can enjoy driving the car again, thanks for you custom, any problems or any parts you may need you know where i am.

Carl C.G. Cars Leicester

mechanicalrepairs

Just spotted this thread, glad it all came together and all is well now, seems strange that a coil pack and an alternator decided to die at the same time.

Hopefully you can enjoy driving the car again, thanks for you custom, any problems or any parts you may need you know where i am.

Carl C.G. Cars Leicester

Sign in to follow this