• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DrSarty

Gti6 Goes Pop!

Tesstuff
Wasnt it officially declared that bloke is a lying bastard over on gti6 forum? I thought he was a lash up king and had been trying to punt a dodgy supercharger kit or something?

Also, didnt this car once have a supercharger kit fitted? Alarm bells are ringing all round to be honest. Im also not pointing the finger at anyone BUT, valves dont "just" conatct pistons and cambelts dont "just" skip teeth. IT dosent happen. I hate to stir things a bit here but I would say that engine has been over revved. Maybe gone for 5th flat out and grabbed 3rd????

This whole thing to me just highlights the fact you are playing with fire renting out these sorts of cars Rich.

Maxi

Maxi mate, as a Sarty 'renter' i can disagree to a point. Our arrangement has been a joy and the car is just fantastic and getting better all the time.

I agree 100% with you though about the 306 Gti6 that Rich purchased. It was a supercharged model owned by a well known 'dodgy' character on the 306 forums.

Rich would appear to have purchased this car without knowing as much as we know.

But what goes around comes around. The seller will know that all too soon.

Bad luck Rich, but i think you have grounds for complaint here.

maxi
Maxi mate, as a Sarty 'renter' i can disagree to a point. Our arrangement has been a joy and the car is just fantastic and getting better all the time.

I agree 100% with you though about the 306 Gti6 that Rich purchased. It was a supercharged model owned by a well known 'dodgy' character on the 306 forums.

Rich would appear to have purchased this car without knowing as much as we know.

But what goes around comes around. The seller will know that all too soon.

Bad luck Rich, but i think you have grounds for complaint here.

Why, are you going to launch the head through his front room window? Im sorry but this is always going to happen when Rich is buying cars 3500miles away. Another reason why I put a disclaimer on that black 205 he bought from my area, you have to see the car for yourself in my opinion. Also, tell me honestly you havent driven the arse out of Richs rented car at some point while its been in your posession........you obviously will have done, thats the nature of the car. I fear, thats what might have happened to this, a wanked out engine that been over revved?

Maxi

Tesstuff
Why, are you going to launch the head through his front room window? Im sorry but this is always going to happen when Rich is buying cars 3500miles away. Another reason why I put a disclaimer on that black 205 he bought from my area, you have to see the car for yourself in my opinion. Also, tell me honestly you havent driven the arse out of Richs rented car at some point while its been in your posession........you obviously will have done, thats the nature of the car. I fear, thats what might have happened to this, a wanked out engine that been over revved?

Maxi

No mate, it is driven well within it's limits and mine. I have fun with it but the bottom line is that it is Rich's car and something at the back of certainly my mind always reminds me of this when i am having that fun. I think 'driven the arse out of it' would suggest revving constantly deep into the red and tearing round shredding tyres. I am too old for that mate.

It gets driven at eight tenths when the time is appropriate, other than that it potters round Leicester at 30-40mph. Rich has a good renter here Maxi.

SurGie

Bad luck there Rich :o no one deserves this to a GTi 6...

I can't rate Carl enough, you will get a very good product from him. He does great work as well.

Iv heard so many story's about the cam belt problems, many of them posted here, IMO it does sound

like the engine has been highly reved & now has missed a beat.

Miles

Back onto topic,

They do this fairly often mainly due to bad maintenace and DIY servicing. But I too hate to say if the valve is like that the complete engine maybe U/S. I have had supplied head's and engine's which tap badly as not many people seem to get them right, The last engine supplied by someone in the Midlands (Banned from here) had a rebuilt head and when removed had 3 bent valves in it. not his fault thou I might add.

The belt thing is over rated I think, Use the OE Pug Belt only not a factor one and they do last well and to date with all of my own car's with over the 40k service interval all OK

The thing is the RS engine and Cambelt is like all the other millions of 406 etc 2.0 16v engine's so why it's difficult to change the belt I have no idea, If I was to say that on the 306 Forum I think I would b shot :o

marksorrento205
No mate, it is driven well within it's limits and mine. I have fun with it but the bottom line is that it is Rich's car and something at the back of certainly my mind always reminds me of this when i am having that fun. I think 'driven the arse out of it' would suggest revving constantly deep into the red and tearing round shredding tyres. I am too old for that mate.

It gets driven at eight tenths when the time is appropriate, other than that it potters round Leicester at 30-40mph. Rich has a good renter here Maxi.

Its like being a passenger with my grandad driving :o

Baz
I can't rate Carl enough, you will get a very good product from him. He does great work as well.

Again, more spouting from your rear!

I disagree.

Edited by Baz

Baz
If I was to say that on the 306 Forum I think I would b shot :o

No surprise there though, they're all a bunch of 'tards by the seems of it, that praise people they shouldn't for shoddy work... like above.

DrSarty

The dynamics of this forum are unreal!!

This place is often more like Eastenders than Eastenders itself. This was only supposed to be a technical thread, with no witch hunting or other hidden agendas and ulterior motives. As I've said before: I write what I actually write and nothing else.

I do appreciate the majority of people's comments here, but we should consider renaming this place www.205GTIAlbertSquare.com/forum. :lol:

This'll get fixed and I'll learn my lesson; simple.

Alastairh

Rich, Is the engine actually original to the car hence the 60k being true? I remember seeing wanted/for sale ads between Dean and Jonnie some time ago for engines thats all.

Al

DrSarty

Hi Al:

If you/anyone looks at the for sale thread (linked above) you'll see the information which rightly or wrongly I went by, along with phone calls to make this purchase.

It says another block was supercharged.

When someone says FSH you would assume it was referring to the same engine, or at least might show a change of engine in the history.

I paid £1,200 BTW.

This isn't a witch hunt. IF the seller was a sheister than perhaps someone, if they spotted it could've warned me. But you have to ask would you warn someone about how they conduct their business unless they were a REALLY close friend? Doubtful.

I may take this up with Dean, but as stated, this thread was about mechanical reasons for the failure. This is my doing.

I completely agree with Adam that something caused this; hence the thread. I am not trying to aportion blame, and I certainly wouldn't do it publicly.

Edited by DrSarty

andyjstone

To get back on topic and away from Albert Square I had a similar thing happen to the GTI6 lump in my 205 earlier this year.

The engine was a bit of a tapper, but the tapping used to come and go and never sounded too serious. I had a new timing belt fitted when the engine was put in, but after a day on the track it went pop and it turned out to be a valve head dropping off and it made a complete mess of the piston, etc, etc.

Miles put another engine in for me and this time I bought a recon head from QEP, hopefuly it will last a bit longer this time.

Paul_13
No surprise there though, they're all a bunch of 'tards by the seems of it, that praise people they shouldn't for shoddy work... like above.

They still think Jonnie205's a god send :lol:

Baz
The dynamics of this forum are unreal!!

This place is often more like Eastenders than Eastenders itself. This was only supposed to be a technical thread, with no witch hunting or other hidden agendas and ulterior motives. As I've said before: I write what I actually write and nothing else.

I do appreciate the majority of people's comments here, but we should consider renaming this place www.205GTIAlbertSquare.com/forum. :lol:

This'll get fixed and I'll learn my lesson; simple.

I apologise for lowering the tone in your 'technical' thread Rich, i just don't like mis-informed idiots spouting crap (again) advising that someone's work is superb, when i've seen a direct opposite.

I have a car this guy half built ( i know which bits he did and which he didn't) and got to MOT standard, and then got this magical MOT on it, with no rear brake compensators, suspension top mounts with over an inch of wear/play in them, and a positive battery terminal left to flail around in the engine bay... :wacko: Not to mention the wrong thread bolts everywhere ruining everything they were then applied to, obviously, including a freshly rebuilt engine block. :lol:

fyi, Dean Skerratt is banned on the 306 forum for dodgy antics/dealing, and i should think that's a feat in itself, i'd of thought it's easier to be banned from here than there tbh... He obviously knows where he can 'play' and where to not bother.

Irrelevant though IMO, wtf are you going to do, go round there and have a stern word about how, erm, you bought a car off him? 'Caviat Emptor' i'm afraid. :ph34r:

mechanicalrepairs

Afternoon all, i cant quite work this thread out to be fair.

My name is Carl and i run and own C.G.Cars in Leicester, i dont know DrSarty at all and i got a phone call from him yesterday regarding this cylinder head problem, i have since built him a head and sent it with a chap he has sent down here, now you mention the car i do remember it when it was advertised on ebay and if it is the same one it used to be owned my a chap called Dean Skerrat.

What i am getting at is i dont quite understand the mentions of a car with a fresh mot worn out brakes etc etc, is this meant to be something i have done??

Please enlighten me, i dont come on here very often but as you know i do have my own 205 and have a love for Peugeots in general and want to be thought of as a good and honest bloke who has a passion for these cars and likes to feel respected and not ill thought of.

Sorry if i have got it all wrong.

Carl

Alastairh
Hi Al:

If you/anyone looks at the for sale thread (linked above) you'll see the information which rightly or wrongly I went by, along with phone calls to make this purchase.

It says another block was supercharged.

When someone says FSH you would assume it was referring to the same engine, or at least might show a change of engine in the history.

I paid £1,200 BTW.

This isn't a witch hunt. IF the seller was a sheister than perhaps someone, if they spotted it could've warned me. But you have to ask would you warn someone about how they conduct their business unless they were a REALLY close friend? Doubtful.

I may take this up with Dean, but as stated, this thread was about mechanical reasons for the failure. This is my doing.

I completely agree with Adam that something caused this; hence the thread. I am not trying to aportion blame, and I certainly wouldn't do it publicly.

Rich,

Being a used car sale. Theres bugger all you can do. Take it on the chin and pay for it to be sorted. He will probably ignore all contact anyway from a car that was sold 3 months ago?

Al

DrSarty

WTF is going on here?

I'm not and have not held any body responsible for anything.

As stated, it was a technical thread and I've pointed the finger at no-one for anything. Some of the answers here are like I'm in tears asking the forum for help and a cuddle.

This is bloody ridiculous! :lol:

I don't know Carl other than from the fact he was recommended to me by someone on here, and thus far he has given me excellent service. Perhaps I walk from puddle to puddle simply because I expect people to be honest with me, and I have no reason to doubt what Carl has done for anyone else, which is why I praised him. It was simply because he was reassuring, quick, courteous and helpful.

As a result, it seems we're on our way out of this mechanical problem, just like I suspect all of you knew I would be, because I simply cope with problems.

I've said even in this thread that this is my doing. I'm not seeking revenge, retribution or anything of the sort.

I have told you all the truth, such as the fact that Nick had to replace the car's front brakes within about 4 weeks of the car getting a fresh MoT. The back brakes were replaced before it was picked up, but it shouldn't really have passed the MoT as it was. Beyond that though, was the car being sold as having 6months' of MoT on it in the first place and a FSH to go with its low mileage.

Now after all that I have this mechanical problem, and all I've asked is how did this mechanical problem happen? Does it sound like I'm sobbing and pleading for help, feeling hard done by? I've just told you what happened and how I'm in the process of fixing things.

So how many times FFS do I have to say this? Stop reading what you think I wrote, and understand what I actually wrote!

Carl>

Sorry you've got the wrong impression here. What your relationship is with others on here is sweet f*ck all to do with me and this thread for that matter. So far I think you've done a grand job and helped me out.

I think this thread has served its purpose as I've had some opinions on what went wrong. I've also seemingly ended in a right mess where people are getting all uptight about things here, when no queries of that nature were ever directed at anybody. So before a Mod closes this I will.