• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Lan

Change Engine Mounts Tw@

Lan

well im officialy annoyed with myself now, i was changing the gearbox mount and snapped one of the mount fixing bolts :(

does anyone know a way of fixing this?

if the battery tray needs to be changed can i do that with the engine in the car? and are they all the same?

and whats the best way of supporting the engine for changing the main "top" mount.

thanks for any help

o and if anyone has torque settings for all these mounts it would be much appreciated to prevent a idiot from tightening them up too much.

Paul_13

Could you not drill what's left of the thread out and use a nut and bolt for the meanwhile?

You can change the mount with the engine still in, make sure its fully supported when you lower it and keep the top mount in place.

You may be able to leave the bottom engine inplace, i have in my experience.

I warn you now the bolts holding the battery tray in place are a basteward to get to if the engine isn't lowered enough lol

Lan

thanks mate, i thought it was only the two bolts on the side of the battery tray tho, what other bolts are there?

djinuk

are are two underneath going horizontal, get your hand in and you will feel them :)

Anthony
are are two underneath going horizontal, get your hand in and you will feel them :wacko:

Can't remember whether there's anymore space with an MA gearbox, but on BE's it helps to lower the gearbox down a little to be able to get to the two horizontal 13mm bolts.

miamichris

Just had my battery tray and gearbox off last weekend changing the clutch in the xs, to get at those 2 bolts under the battery tray you'll definitely have to lower the gearbox, its still a bit of a bollocks to get the bolts out, but you'll get them in the end! :o

powermandan

You could just weld another stud on, would be a much quicker and less hassel

welshpug

still need to remove the mounting for that, they fit from underneath.

not a big job to remove the bracket at all though.

timb1046

get the grinder out! get rid of the tray and put the battery in the boot, sorted.... or not. get some spray like penerative oil or WD on the bolts a bit before as mine were a bit rusted in