• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jean_quemener

De Badged Grills

Jean_quemener

after posting a pic of my car with a gutman grill, i have been told that it would look a lot nice with a standard de badged grill, so was just wondering if people wanted to post there de badged grills so sway me away from gutmann

Edited by Jean_quemener

Paul_13

Click on the 205gtidrivers.com button at the top left of the screen.

Go to articles

Scroll down to Exterior/Interior

And de-badged grilles the top one in that section.

I made one ages ago but it was pretty sh!te, fell to bits :lol

Jean_quemener

im not to sure about that, but i think im gonna try make one anway see how it looks, mite be one of thoose things that grows on you.

GLPoomobile

You don't have a Guttman grill. As I said in your other topic, the Guttman grills are horrible (as well as being the most common of the aftermarket ones). What you have is one of the Equiss Auto designs sold by Ecosse.

Jean_quemener

ah rite i see, i just thought they where all tared with the same brush if you get me.

MerlinGTI

Copyoffcs2.jpg

Absolute pain in the ass to get right, theres about 10 hours work on that grille all in, and thats with all the propper equiptment at hand.

I chopped out the center section of the grille front, plastic welded in some donor slats, then plastic bonded them with mesh and adhesives for strength and flexibility, filled with plastic filler. Then I had to attack the grille backing with a die grinder so the square in the center for the badge was slat shape... matching the new front section. Sounds easy but I wouldnt want to do another ;)

joe1joe

that sounds a long winded way of doing it??? as u are more likely to change the shape of the grill if u remove the middle bit??? i jst removed all the paint in the centre bit (the badge peice) and ruff the platix up with grinder bit in drill and corse paper,

then used another grill and stuck in peices from another grill using fibre glass filler and "v" ing out all the peices to prevent any lickly hood of cracks......

and then a light skim with fibre glass filler over each bar, and had it so close once it was finished needed no body filler only fill stoper......

and the peice between each bar (only the bit where the badge was) i painted black as removing this would weaken the grill to much.

p1010025v.jpg

Edited by joe1joe

Baz

Mine, i'm not a massive fan though.

welcome2.jpg

Edited by Baz

MerlinGTI
that sounds a long winded way of doing it??? as u are more likely to change the shape of the grill if u remove the middle bit???

Prevents you from seeing the square backing, its not removed but cut into the same shape as the bars. Didnt 'change shape' and still retains the center mounting locater thingy.

DSCF0026.jpg

pugdamo

Heres mine,its the only grill i think suits the 205 (other than the standard one )but thats only my opinion :)

15032009083.jpg

Fox

I've been 'making' one of these for a few months now, do an hour now and then, then get bored...

Its really hard

OlberJ

Had an esquiss on mine, then made a 3 bar.

Eventually went back to standard as it's much nicer.

Henry Yorke

post-3457-1248738365_thumb.jpg

I had both for mine. It looked bald without the badge so I sold the debadged one

Peetypug

i want one

anybody got a ready made going for as little as possible :lol:

joe1joe

does look nicer with the bit removed from inbetween each bar, i just thought it would be a bit weak.... looks a very tidy job u have done though.

daveyboyblack

Who needs a grille?

DSC05059.jpg

Seriously though... the nicest pugs i've seen always have the standard grille. I'll be putting one back on mine when I get a chance. It just doesn't look right without it!

M@tt

what you really want is a proper shiney lion badge like this :)

HPIM0751Small.jpg

(the pic isn't of the finished arricle, the finished one has the lion mounted sliglty lower so feet are in line with bottom of grill)

weejp
Who needs a grille?

Seriously though... the nicest pugs i've seen always have the standard grille. I'll be putting one back on mine when I get a chance. It just doesn't look right without it!

Agreed, I reckon putting a grille on my old Pug doubled it's value - major mistake by the previous owner in my opinion, although gave me the opportunity to pick up a bit of a bargain.

Go with the standard grille - but if you absolutely have to go down the modified route then a de-badged is far more preferable to the Ecosse / Gutmann monstrosities. :)

post-12725-1248991892_thumb.jpg

axnutty

You can just buy 3 bar grills ready made.

d7ve_b
Copyoffcs2.jpg

Absolute pain in the ass to get right, theres about 10 hours work on that grille all in, and thats with all the propper equiptment at hand.

I chopped out the center section of the grille front, plastic welded in some donor slats, then plastic bonded them with mesh and adhesives for strength and flexibility, filled with plastic filler. Then I had to attack the grille backing with a die grinder so the square in the center for the badge was slat shape... matching the new front section. Sounds easy but I wouldnt want to do another :)

Enough about the grills, more pics like this please :o

MerlinGTI
Enough about the grills, more pics like this please :lol:

Go on then :wacko:

Copyoffcs1.jpg

Henry Yorke

Damn, I shouldn't have ebayed mine off if it is actually a proven fanny magnet!! I want muff on my bonnet now! What happens if you fit a delocked tailgate panel?!!