• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Le JC

A Better Ignition Coil

Guest Le JC

Hi,

I would like to know what is the better ignition coil to fit on a 205 GTi XU9JAZ stock

Any idea ?

MSD 8231

8231_full.jpg

ACCEL 140008 ?

accel_140008.jpg

petert

Is the MSD coil a direct replacement for the 205 coil? The reality is the PSA engineers probably matched the coil saturation time with the ignition module. So changing the coil may in fact give less spark performance and/or over heat the ignition module. Unless you have the ability to put an oscilliscope on the coil and watch it's saturation time, I'd probably stick with a standard coil.

An alternative is to change to an intelligent ignition module, such as the Bosch 008 (or equivalent), which will optimise the saturation time for the coil being used.

Edited by petert

Tom Fenton

If the rest of the engine is standard, I'd personally fit a standard one, as spending money on a fancy one will most likely net no noticeable gains.

Guest Le JC

this ref ? Bosch 1227 022 008

Plug and play or need I to re wire it ?

petert

That is the one. You may need to add another earth wire. I'll check.

wardy18

hi

ive been wanting to look into this too for my hillclimb 205 currently running standard ignition apart from a H&H dizzy and Denso Iridium Sparkies!!

i wouldnt even know where to look when it comes to getting an uprated coil, what do you look for???

thanx

Guest Le JC

If a Bosch 1 227 022 008 suit with an upgraded ignition coil like a MSD blaster or similar ACCEL, it's enough for me for my little upgraded 205 :wub:

Waiting for petert if he could say us how to do that. :)

sub205
If a Bosch 1 227 022 008 suit with an upgraded ignition coil like a MSD blaster or similar ACCEL, it's enough for me for my little upgraded 205 :lol:

Waiting for petert if he could say us how to do that. :wacko:

before thinking about a replacement coil i would convert the whole engine to wasted spark / dual coil. this is much more effective as it gives the coil twice the time to charge.