• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Daviewonder

2.0 Turbo Engine Wiring

Daviewonder

Hello all, Ive recently bought a 205 gti that had been converted to a 2.0 hdi it has the hdi engine and loom. I would like to convert the car to a 2.0 turbo using a 406 engine (xu10j2te?). My xu10 engine came with the engine loom up to the 2 round multi plugs. My questions are this:-

Is this enough loom for the conversion?

Can i splice the turbo loom onto the hdi one or will the hdi one be lacking vital wires?

My 205 still has the fuel pump in the tank where should it get its power from?

Ive read through other threads and i hear its just a case of connecting 4 wires to get the engine started after that is it just a case of wiring up the gauges?

I really could do with some help on this one as im a virgin on wiring. :blush:

M@tt
Is this enough loom for the conversion?

yes if you have the turbo loom this is all you need.

Can i splice the turbo loom onto the hdi one or will the hdi one be lacking vital wires?

No need, remove the hdi engine and loom and just use the turbo engine and loom mated to the 205 one.

My 205 still has the fuel pump in the tank where should it get its power from?

the 205 engine loom plug has a wire that goes to the fuel pump. You mate that wire up to the wire on the turbo loom plug that comes from the double relay pin 9

theres plenty of info on it including my signature below, have another search :blush:

Edited by M@tt

welshpug

I'm intrigued to see how easy it was to wire up the hdi engine myself!

Daviewonder

problem is theres not a lot of 205 loom left as far as i can tell, the hole in the bulkhead that the 205 engine loom normally comes through is blanked off and the hdi loom goes into the car on the lefthand side, also the two multi plugs next to the glove box are they both supposed to be brown? as one of mine is brown and the other is white.

welshpug

that's an increasingly common thing to do I've heard as it places the loom away from the exhaust manifold, and I would imagine turbo in this installation, just unplug the diesel loom at those two plugs.

I've not seen white plugs on a 205, but I think its common for 309 looms to have white plugs, so it might be a late car thing, they fit, so its not a problem.

I would find a pair of plugs with a length of 205 engine loom attached and cut the 2 round turbo loom plugs off and connect the 205 ones in place.

Edited by welshpug

M@tt

is the hdi loom joined to the 205 one in the engine bay or in the car? and is it done via plugs or are the wires soldered directly together?

Daviewonder

Im slowly getting to grips so bear with me lol, so the wires from the 205 ecu normally go through the bulkhead on the righthand side but this isnt relevent as the turbo ecu will live under the bonnet and connect to the sensors from there, so the wires that go to the round multi plugs are for gauges etc and will go through the left hand side, so i need to get the 2 brown multi plugs from a 205 plug them into the 205 loom and join them to the 406 loom? ive read bits about 2 brown multi plugs on the drivers side near centre console what are these for?

Daviewonder
is the hdi loom joined to the 205 one in the engine bay or in the car? and is it done via plugs or are the wires soldered directly together?

to be honest mate im not sure as the loom is all taped up, the hdi loom still uses the round multi plugs then goes into the car and plugs in using a brown and a white square mutti plug.

Peetypug

the 2 plugs you need are the 2 brown plugs that are under the steering wheel side of the dash

if its already had a conversion they may be near to the fuse board now

unplug the loom from the hdi engine at the 2 brown plugs (they are 9 pin and 6 pin)

then you need to cut the 2 plugs off the hdi loom on the engine bay side with enough loom for your conversion

then its the simple task of connecting the turbo loom to the 205 loom with the plugs fron the hdi loom....... if that makes sense, i hope it does because i think i've lost myself :blush:

Daviewonder
the 2 plugs you need are the 2 brown plugs that are under the steering wheel side of the dash

if its already had a conversion they may be near to the fuse board now

unplug the loom from the hdi engine at the 2 brown plugs (they are 9 pin and 6 pin)

then you need to cut the 2 plugs off the hdi loom on the engine bay side with enough loom for your conversion

then its the simple task of connecting the turbo loom to the 205 loom with the plugs fron the hdi loom....... if that makes sense, i hope it does because i think i've lost myself :ph34r:

Yeah that makes sense but what are the 2 square multiplugs on the left next next to the glove box all about? i thought these were the ones i needed to use? :blush:

Peetypug

do they have grooves on one side so they can be mounted to the bulkhead?

if so they are not the correct ones

the easiest way of getting the correct plugs is to trace where the engine loom goes into the cabin

Daviewonder
do they have grooves on one side so they can be mounted to the bulkhead?

if so they are not the correct ones

the easiest way of getting the correct plugs is to trace where the engine loom goes into the cabin

they have grooves with little round black clips in.

Peetypug

they aint the ones you need

Daviewonder

ok cheers, so all confusion aside, long story short, i need to connect the 205 brown multi plugs from the drivers side to the 2.0 turbo loom round multi plugs.

Peetypug

yeah

cut the larger round plug off the turbo loom (not sure if both are used, they aren't on the gti6 conversion so i have one still in the engine bay)

then connect the turbo wires to the 2 plugs that are connected to the hdi

then plug them into the 2 brown plugs under the dash

M@tt

aye but you'll proabably find that most if not all the wires you'll need for the turbo conversions will already be at the round multiplug that mates to the hdi loom. the wiring for the hdi i would imagine isn't going to be vastly differnt, ie you're going to need an earth, a switched and positive 12v, a starter wire, fuel pump wire then just the guages.

best thing to do is to try and work out what the pins on the multiplug are already them you could lop the multiplug off the hdi loom and mate it to the turbo loom so it's plug and play

Peetypug

you could also do what matt said :blush:

M@tt

beat me to it pete :blush:

Daviewonder

sounds simple, dunno what i was fussing about! one thing that concerns me from what you just said and from reading other peoples posts is that both my round multi plugs on the turbo loom are the same size not different.

Peetypug
sounds simple, dunno what i was fussing about! one thing that concerns me from what you just said and from reading other peoples posts is that both my round multi plugs on the turbo loom are the same size not different.

one will have more pins than the other

Daviewonder

thats something else i keep reading but both of mine have 18 pins. :blush: even the wiring diagrams ive downloaded show one plug having more than the other.

welshpug

what year was the 406 and was it auto?

Daviewonder

The guy i got it off said it was an R reg 98, its a manual with a hydralic release bearing.

Daviewonder

Anyone have a wiring diagram for a 406 turbo that has 2 18 pin multi plugs?