• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
billybluesky

Alternative Fuel Pumps

billybluesky

hi car wont start spark`s ok fuel at fuelrail but i can`t hear the pump priming itself when i turn on the ignition so i recon the pumps shot do`es anyone know if a pump from any other models can be fitted?

welshpug

if you have fuel at the fuel rail at pressure the pump is fine, the priming is controlled the relay not the pump itself.

Tom Fenton

Hi Bill, do you definitely have fuel arriving at pressure at the fuel rail? Also check the fuel pump relay, under the dash near the ECU above drivers feet, these commonly crap out, Tom.

billybluesky
Hi Bill, do you definitely have fuel arriving at pressure at the fuel rail? Also check the fuel pump relay, under the dash near the ECU above drivers feet, these commonly crap out, Tom.

hi i've fuel at the rail but cant confirm the pressure frigged the relay so i,m pritty sure its not that i have a spark ,the damn thing ran great all the way from torquay on monday apart from the alternator bearing rattling when i came off the motorway

Tom Fenton

The pressure is more difficult to check, but you could disconnect the fuel feed to rail, point into a can, and then run the pump to check delivery volume. I've never personally had a problem with a fuel pump, they either work or don't work I have found.

pug_ham

I agree with Tom & suspect the tachy relay.

Just because its not priming doesn't mean its definately failed because they don't always prime in my experience but you can run a permanent temporary feed to the pump plug under the r/h rear seat base to see if it runs from the lighter socket.

You can bridge the connections on the relay plug but I can't remember which ones.

Graham.

welshpug

wire 76 is fuel pump feed, wire 18 feeds injectors, wire 20 is the permanent live feed from the battery via the shunt box, wire 112a comes from the coil and switches the relay I believe.

there's also an earth, simply "M" on my diagram.

there's also a 12v feed to the relay under cranking from wire 46b.

billybluesky

great idea with the temporary/permanent wire was just about to start and thought, just one more try, bloody thing runs, inexplicably , guess its just a french thing, the french holidays start around about now if i remember rightly perhaps cars have holidays too, but i,ll still do the wire thing ,

thanks for all the help and support but i still havent a clue what the problem was

Tom Fenton

My bet is the fuel pump relay, they do go dicky and play up with age, my car did the same thing.

pug_ham
My bet is the fuel pump relay, they do go dicky and play up with age, my car did the same thing.

ditto.

My car did this once @ 4:30am on my wayhome from work.

Got relayed to my digs & then started checking things out. Bought a feul pump after finding it wasn't running but had no tools to fix it so I paid for relay back to my parents where i could swap bits across from mymums 309 SRi until it worked.

Swapped afm & ecu but nothing fixed it. I'd narrowed it down to the tachy relay but gave in & rang pug for confirmattion. They gave the stock answer, we need to plug it into our machine to test everything before we can diagnose it correctly so I crumbled & took it in as most of my driving was motorway at that time & I didn't want it to die when I was on my way to work.

Got my mum to tow me but when I tried, it fired up so flashed my lights getting her to stop. I then drove the car the rest of the way with no problems & left it with Pug.

I got a phone call within 30 minutes of getting back home saying the car was ready, new tachy relay had fixed it. :lol:

Peugeot haven't seen my car since.

Graham.

u47sb2

Well worth swapping the tachy relay first. I had a similar problem a few months ago which was cured by a new relay. In most GTIs it's next to the ECU under the dash on the drivers side but in some earlier models it sits in a box under the battery tray (took me a while to work this out!)

billybluesky

thanks for everyones help, but it turned out to be the alternator voltage reg knackered, putting out about 18 volts, which caused the battery to heat up and spit out electrolyte out of a breather hole onto the coil, allowing the spark to track to earth, although there was a spark it was too weak to fire up. Strange the plugs wasn`t wet though thanks again bill

Sign in to follow this