• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chocolate_o_brian

Really Bad Misfire And Cutting Out

Daviewonder

Why not try wrapping some electrical tape around the lead where the spark was coming from, at least you'll know if the lead is at fault.

chocolate_o_brian
Dunno about the coil :angry: but mine survived this "arcing" , and i'm still using it 2years after this problem :(

Me thinks that it'll be fine ... but , i can strongly recommend that you stock for yourself this spares and stuff them in a bag and into the boot keeping this bits in the car so that you can replace them if needed on the road (add a few basic tools as well) :

Ignition amp.

Coil

Dizzy cap + rotor arm (could add a few spark plugs but myself i never ever had a spark plug breakdown yet !)

Set of spare leads

Fuel pump relay

AFM

All of these things are easy to replace on your own with min. amount of tools and on the road .. and are common breakdown stuff which are , in worst case scenario , instant car stoppers or cause of misfiring , hesitating , cutting out etc .

Damir :(

Well I think a new ign amp will be on order after I get another coil-dizzy cap lead tomorrow.

Coil is new, plugs are fine, checked today and not old either.

fuel pump relay... wheres that go?

AFM may be something I source on here.

chocolate_o_brian
Why not try wrapping some electrical tape around the lead where the spark was coming from, at least you'll know if the lead is at fault.

How do you mean? I don't get it about using tape, sorry :angry:

DamirGTI

Fuel pump relay or AFM wont be the cause of this problem as they can't be associate with the presence of current leaking/arcing in the ignition system (well fuel pump relay is connected on the ignition circuit but i doubt it can make this "arcing" stuff) ...but as said they're handy spares when you're on the trip , driving , even if not so far from home , being left by the car breakdown in the middle of the road on your own is always a lonely feeling :angry: as (from my experience) today , the only place on the world where people are still keen/willing to help is the - sea ! :(:( sadly but truth i'm afraid .. in this "lonely cases" when you're left by the machinery in the middle of nowhere or in the bloody rush hour traffic your private stock of emergency spares will prove to be invaluable :)

Fuel pump relay will be , if it's early Ph1 car in the little black box under the battery , if it's Ph1.5/2 car under the dash next to the ECU or the steering column ..

Damir :)

Edited by DamirGTI

Daviewonder

you said there was sparks coming out of the lead (where the arrow points in the photo) so it sounds to me like the lead is at fault, either borrow a lead from your mate and try that or wrap electrical tape around where the spark is coming from on your lead and try that.

chocolate_o_brian
you said there was sparks coming out of the lead (where the arrow points in the photo) so it sounds to me like the lead is at fault, either borrow a lead from your mate and try that or wrap electrical tape around where the spark is coming from on your lead and try that.

Ah, sorry for my ignorance.

The sparks weren't so much as coming out over just visable. But when I took the lead off the coil to see if there was a spark from the top of the coil, they were doing this arcing thing Damir speaks of.

I'm changing the lead tomorrow regardless as a precaution.

Daviewonder

so can you see a spark arcing out when the engine is running and the lead is connected?

chocolate_o_brian
so can you see a spark arcing out when the engine is running and the lead is connected?

Not any more, but once yesterday I did, yes mate.

Daviewonder

personally i would say that this is your problem, Id just try changing that lead and seeing if that makes a difference before you go spending money on other more expensive stuff. how long have you had the leads? maybe there under warranty so you can take them back and get them changed.

chocolate_o_brian
personally i would say that this is your problem, Id just try changing that lead and seeing if that makes a difference before you go spending money on other more expensive stuff. how long have you had the leads? maybe there under warranty so you can take them back and get them changed.

Not long, but finding the reciept would be fun. I'm gonna try for just the one lead and see as you say whats difference it makes.

chocolate_o_brian

Bit of an update, and I hope the cars fixed. I've been and gotton a new Bosch Ignition module today and fitted with some of the white paste stuff behind it. Cleaned all round the terminals etc and made sure nothing is touching that shouldn't be.

Car fired up 1st time and I took it up and down the street and let it warm up.

I'm just building the confidence on whether to take it out for a run or not. ;)

EdCherry

Take it for a run ;) theres no fun in slowly slowly, plunge straight in at the deep end ;)

chocolate_o_brian

Well it got me to Asda's for the fortnightly food shop, and then got me to the kebab shop in town, so that was the important things covered :)

Just taken the Mrs to her mothers and had the car sat at 80 with no ill effects. Even give some young ginger tosser in his 1.4 Ibiza a lesson in roundabout dynamics and straight line acceleration :( with no consequence either so I'm hoping all is required now is a general set up by a pro like Skip Brown. then I may not sell the stoopid bloody thing.

Sign in to follow this