• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pob

Mot Failure?

Pob

Hi all,

I want to MOT my 205 but noticed a small hole in the sill. I'm going to replace the sill at some point as it's not great, but wanted to get it MOT''d first so at least I can get some use out of it over the Summer.

Would this it fail on this?

sill.jpg

The hole doesn't go all the way through where the sill is attacted to the car, but there is a hole if you look up at the sill from underneath, if that makes sense? Looks more like a drainage hole really :)

Thanks,

Dan

philfingers

probably is a drainage hole, they're sort of long and thin. So long as you can't push a screwdriver through it then it should be fine. If in doubt drive it down and ask the tester first, they'd surely have a quick look at it for you without having to go to a full mot. Just get hold of the tester himself, don't bother with going through reception

Tom Fenton

Can't tell from the picture, but if it is a rot hole going into the closed section of the sill then yes it will most likely fail.

Pob
Can't tell from the picture, but if it is a rot hole going into the closed section of the sill then yes it will most likely fail.

I'll try and get a picture showing it better. Basically, the top edge has left a small hole. I might just weld the edge up for now and replace the complete sill when I can. Depends how big the screwdriver is, but it is a very thin hole

Dan

Edited by Pob

philfingers

it's not the right way but a skim of filler and some underseal might do the trick until you can get it done. BUT it does need doing, the rust will just spread

Pob
it's not the right way but a skim of filler and some underseal might do the trick until you can get it done. BUT it does need doing, the rust will just spread

I'll just weld it and paint it with hammerite for the time being I thinks. The edges are very solid, its a little strange how it's rotted away and yet it's so solid around it.

Dan

lagonda

As a temporary fix for MoT, quick coat of underseal along the sill should do the trick.

ALEX

How bad is the sill? does it sound crispy when you tap it with a mallet. (thats the MOT's test if a sill looks like it's got a bit of surface rust)

Mine failed, it didn't look all that bad untill I realised you could push a screwdriver though it without much pressure.

I'll find my topic for you.

If the sill needs replacing your best off doing most the work yourself by removing most of the old sill. the hardest part to remove is the bonding inside behind the rear quarter panel, I spent ages picking out all the bonding to get it as neat as possible to use all of the new sill. A garage will want to cut and shut it, but once the old sill is off, fitting the whole new one is easier and neater.

Pob
How bad is the sill? does it sound crispy when you tap it with a mallet. (thats the MOT's test if a sill looks like it's got a bit of surface rust)

Mine failed, it didn't look all that bad untill I realised you could push a screwdriver though it without much pressure.

I'll find my topic for you.

If the sill needs replacing your best off doing most the work yourself by removing most of the old sill. the hardest part to remove is the bonding inside behind the rear quarter panel, I spent ages picking out all the bonding to get it as neat as possible to use all of the new sill. A garage will want to cut and shut it, but once the old sill is off, fitting the whole new one is easier and neater.

Well it passed it's MOT, The sill is solid everywhere apart from the area where a hole has formed... I ground the rust out and welded it up. I poked the sill with a screwdriver and no crusty bits so it seems ok for now.

Regarding replacing the whole sill... A friend of mine replaced his a while back and said the sill slides up behind the rear wing, which apparently is impossible without removing the rear wing? Not entirely sure what he did, but it involved cutting this part off that slides behind the wing Any ideas?

Dan

hexhamstu

spray some waxoyl over it and all will be fine :)