• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
driversdomainuk

Heated Windscreen

driversdomainuk

Hi

I am looking for a new windscreen, and have come across a heated 12v one, for motorsport use....

Apart from the obvious, such as not misting up etc (which is great as I have no fan.heater) are there any other benefits of these....as they are only £30 more than what autoglass want for a standard one...

Also are they easy to wire up...??

The car is for motorsport use...

cheers

James_R

If you have no heater box then yes very good to have.

As for Autoglass, I'm sure if you ring a "local" glasier (sp??) they could do one cheaper than them they were stupid when I needed a screen a while back. But if you want a heated screen then yes easy to wire up, usually have a left and right element, you'll need some decent gauge wire as they can draw a couple of amps and a timed relay is a good idea to put in (from a 306 rear heated screen relay for exmaple or ford forn screen relays) to stop it being left on and burning out prematurely.

driversdomainuk
If you have no heater box then yes very good to have.

As for Autoglass, I'm sure if you ring a "local" glasier (sp??) they could do one cheaper than them they were stupid when I needed a screen a while back. But if you want a heated screen then yes easy to wire up, usually have a left and right element, you'll need some decent gauge wire as they can draw a couple of amps and a timed relay is a good idea to put in (from a 306 rear heated screen relay for exmaple or ford forn screen relays) to stop it being left on and burning out prematurely.

Cheers James

How much labour would this take up? my car is with a body shop who may be able to do it....otherwise i am wondering if they can fit it and me and my technical buddy can wire it in later...?

James_R

Fitting?? abotu 10-15mins with a washing line. install the rubber in to the screen, run a chord (washing line is pertty good for this) round the edge of the rubber to make a loop with the tails coming out the bottom (bit that sits in the groove of the shell) lay the screen in to the bottom end of the grove and have assistant press gently on the screen, pull wire out to pull lip of rubber out, work the corners gentley in to place until you've for to the centre top and presto done. Wiring woudl be a matter of 20mins or so.