• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ravydavy

Are Harnesses Only A Test Failure

ravydavy

im just building a 205 and was wondering whether or not harnesses are a test failure? its going to be stripped out and didn't fancy putting seatbelts in if possible ..

regards david

Edited by ravydavy

swordfish210

As long as they're fitted correctly and securely then you'll be fine. I've never heard of a car failing an MOT because of the harnesses.

Baz

Course not!

Although i usually get advisories stating that there's no seats in the back so nothing to test/race seats & harnesses or similar.

andyjstone
As long as they're fitted correctly and securely then you'll be fine. I've never heard of a car failing an MOT because of the harnesses.

Is that the case, I was told that it depends on the harness and that only a few are road legal and therefore allowable for MOT?

kyepan

the only bit of advice i've been given re harnesses is make sure they are mounted horizontally behind your shoulders, as if they are mounted to the floor and you have a big crash it will crush your spine.

swordfish210

Quite possibly, would you want to fit ones that wont even pass an MOT though. They'd probably just be a few bits of string that you tie around you

andyjstone
Quite possibly, would you want to fit ones that wont even pass an MOT though. They'd probably just be a few bits of string that you tie around you

I'm not sure that's a reasonable argument as presumably the requirements for an MOT were written around road cars with seat belts and therefore certain harnesses may not comply because they don't meet requirements that were written for seat belts!

Baz

Any harnesses available these days are going to be over and above the MOT requirements IMO.

RossD

They have to have a BSI kitemark or be E marked to pass an MOT iirc.

Garry

Isn't there some sort of issue with the release clasp? Ie normal seatbelts have the red push button to release whilst some harnesses have the twist type aerocatch.

I have heard stories of people failing because of this due to the emergency services trying to get you out quickly should the worst happen. I suppose it depends on how flexible the tester is........

phat205

As above, they have to be BS approved and 'E' Marked, Generally they will have The Red quick release buttons on not the aircraft style ones.

SurGie

So will a 205 fail its mot if there are no rear seats at the back of it ?

sideways danny
So will a 205 fail its mot if there are no rear seats at the back of it ?

no.

you need a belt/harness for each seat. If there's no seat, no belt is needed

philfingers

I have aircraft Q/R type ones in my cars for years and never had a problem with MOTs, least not with the harnesses anyway!

IntenseDan

I thought it was the 5 point harnesses (between the legs ones) that failed mot's? I have 3 points in mine and passed mot fine!

Did get the back seat advisories though!

Dan

Liquid_106

R26.R has 6 point harness as standard and no back seat so I don't think you have anything to worry about :)

renaultsport-megane-r26r-interior-s.jpg

IntenseDan

/\ Fair doos!

number2301

Funnily enough, I was looking through the Demon Tweeks catalogue last night and they have a Scroth harness in which is designed to be road legal, and still has the aircraft release thing. Could be worth a look.

large

I have had harnesses in the car for a number of years and i have never had any problems.

andyjstone

All I know is that I recently bought some harnesses from DT and I quote what they said:

'We can do an OMP harness with 3" shoulder and 2" lap. This is road legal and is the only road legal with 3" shoulders.'