• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Lan

Seat Belts Wont Unravel

Lan

i was just fitting some seat belts to my car this morning and couldnt get them to move, While i pulled on the belt to unravel it it just engaged the locking mechanism, does anyone know how to make belts work?

thanks

Lan

Anthony

Have you mounted them in the car? They only work properly when mounted at the correct angle, so if they're laying loose they will lock.

Lan

ive mounted one, still doesnt seem to budge though

pugpete1108

as anthony said it needs to be at the correct angle for them to unravel. not sure what that is mind you.

i managed to unravel mine easily off the car by holding them on a vertical wall and pulling them slowly.

engine killer

if they are the front one, either mount them in or keep them upright. if they are rear, they only work in one angle with about 45 degree. if they got raveled all the way, you have to pull as much out as you can and then let it ravel and slow pull again, make sure in the right angle.

I have bought a set of red seat belt last month, they were exactly like you said - impossible to unravel. it took me about 2 hours with patient to unravel them all.

you will get there eventually if you are very patient.

steve@cornwall

Before fitting the belt, look at the back of the reel. one one side you will be able to see coloured plastic components (so far I've come across white, yellow, green, orange). This is the device that locks according to angle. Carefully remove the black cover from the reel. (push the centres from the clips to release) You will see a toothed wheel and a plastic pawl that locks it, controlled by a ball bearing.

Disengage the pawl and, holding it dis-engaged, allow the belt to retract a little. you will now be able to pull the belt free and re-assemble the casing. Wedge it with something to stop it retracting while you fit it.