• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chocolate_o_brian

M.o.t. Fail Query Re. Lights

chocolate_o_brian

Took the Pug in for its MOT yesterday, and it failed as I expected.

Couple of the issues I can sort myself (knackered wishbone ball joint, buggered seat frame), but one worries me and I need it fixing sharpish as the retest is Monday.

The rear lights are to buggery. the car is an 88 GTi but has the phase 2 rear light conversion. The problem is the night lights are shining brighter than the brake lights in the cluster, when I believe it should be the other way round. The MOT guy said it's dangerous as you can't make the brake lights out enough for people behind me.

Question: how do I fix it :)

TIA

Andy

P.S. electrics are my worst nightmare and I'm gonna pop to a mates now to see if he can help.

RossD

Check the bulbs in the rear cluster, you may have differing wattages of bulb, or the wrong bulbs altogether.

GLPoomobile

IIRC the brake lights shine brighter because they simply use a higher rated bulb. So check the bulbs that you have fitted for a start.

Haynes says 5w for taillights and 21w for stop lights.

But then from memory I'm sure there are twin filament bulbs fitted. So does Ph2 use a single twin filament bulb for both functions? If so, it is probably that the wires for the tail and stop lights are wired in to the wrong positions in the plug.

chocolate_o_brian

Found the problem, the knob who had the car before me had the bulbs the wrong way round. I've never had to change a bulb in the rear clusters and the 5/21w bulbs were all over the place.

So took the lenses off, cleaned them, cleaned all the bulbs and the inner casing... actually put the bulbs in the right place ( :)<_< ), and hey presto :lol:

Thing I don't get it how it passed last year with the bulbs in the same place, the same MOT tester etc :wacko:

I don't care, it's sorted and the other jobs are an easy monday thank feck. :ph34r:

GLPoomobile

I'm surprised actually that they fit the wrong way around. I'm pretty sure the bulbs have the two prongs at different places - I think on one bulb the prongs are on opposite sides at the same point, and on the other bulb they are at opposite sides but staggered - so you shouldn't be able to fit them in the wrong place :)

chocolate_o_brian
I'm surprised actually that they fit the wrong way around. I'm pretty sure the bulbs have the two prongs at different places - I think on one bulb the prongs are on opposite sides at the same point, and on the other bulb they are at opposite sides but staggered - so you shouldn't be able to fit them in the wrong place :)

Funnily enough a mate pm'ed me on another forum I frequent stating the same thing.

I've obviously proved said theory wrong LOL.

Baz

I'd clean up the earthing point on the inside of the boot near the NS light cluster, also helps sometimes with weak/mixed up lights.

Edited by Baz

ade 4wd

On a phase 2 rear light cluster there are 4 bulbs. One 21W for the brake light, one 21W for the indicator and two 5W for the side light. Phase 1 rear light cluster has twin filament lamp for both brake and side light.