• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Whats The Best Block To Use With Tu3s Head?

johnnyboy666

i am planning on sorting my engine as its on the verge of 160k miles and as far as im aware has never been changed. the plan is to build up an engine, then just swap them over to minimise time off the road.

i have decided to stick with a tu3s head (i know i will be advised against this but..) i already have a spare one with a piper cam and also a manifold for twin 40's waiting to go on when ready.

so my question is, what will be the best block to use? compatibility wise and reliability/strength wise?

would i see any benefit from using a 1.6 block maybe from a saxo or 106?

ideally i would like to use an ally block to save some weight up front

i would just stick with a tu3s bottom end but theyre getting hard to find!

any comments/ advice appreciated

john

drmo

Using TU5JP bottom the CR will jump to about 11,4:1, which is good, and even higher with TU5J4 bottom. But the head is really not good performance wise. You can use the same cam on a much better head from TU5JP or J2.

johnnyboy666

im not too clued up on engine codes, so what cars would i find those in?

sub205
im not too clued up on engine codes, so what cars would i find those in?

306 xs 1.6

this engine is quite good. 89bhp stock, spray bars, can easily be converted to the 106s16-engine (new pistons/conrod/bearings, s16-head and some peripherals), then >=120bhp

the ecu and loom from the 306 is quite easy to manage and runs really smooth, compared to the 205-staff.

but you need a gti fuel pump or you will have no fun! (or run twin 40s)

Edited by sub205

johnnyboy666

what about the (i think) tu5j2 from a 106 s2 rallye?

this seems to be the sort of thing i would be looking for, if i was to use the rallye head i would be looking to still use the twin dellorto 40's i have (just to be awkward) i'm guessing theres no chance of the inlet manifold being the same spacing/fitment? and i'm assuming 40's would still cope with a 1.6?

what about the exhaust manifold spacing, is that the same as a tu3s? would be a shame to get rid of the csc marmitte manifold i waited a long time to get imported! lol

sorry for lots of questions!

john

johnnyboy666

hold on i dont think thats the right engine code :wub: i meant the 8v blacktop s2 rallye possibly tu5jp4, or is it tu5j4? engine codes confuse me!

Sandy

TU5J4 and TU5JP4 are the 16v 1.6 engines.

TU5J2, TU5JP are the 8v 1.6 engines.